Is it difficult to swap brakes?

Cathal-750
Cathal-750 Posts: 11
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I just picked up my new bike (Scott Spark 730). First thing I noticed is that the rear brake is operated by the left hand lever (I'm right handed). Is it very difficult to swap these around so that its rear brake - right and front brake - left? Does it require a different set of levers?

thanks,
C.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Depends on the brakes, some are symmetrical and work/look just as good swapped over. Others, you should be able to swap the hoses over. I swapped the hoses on my Shimano XT brakes and it was an easy process without the need for a re-bleed.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why would you want to swap the brakes over. Assuming you are in the UK left hand rear, right hand front is the default set up. It's nothing to do with being right handed or left handed.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The front brake does 90% of the work, so it would make more sense to have it 'standard' UK set up anyway, if you are right handed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    He/she can have his/her brakes whichever way around he/she wants them.
    It's usually pretty easy to swap them but some brakes are easier to swap than others.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you do want to swap, they are Shimano according to http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/238188009/SCOTT-Spark-730-Bike/ and so you need to remove both hoses from levers and swap over, the hoses will probably be long enough to cope (check first!) and they may need bleeding. For the price of the bike it should have been able to negotiate the seller doing t for you.

For me it makes no sense to swap though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cathal-750
    Cathal-750 Posts: 11
    Thanks everyone. Yep, I've gotten used to the setup now so I'll leave it as it is. I just figured you'd always have the back brake assigned to your dominant hand. You learn something new every day :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks everyone. Yep, I've gotten used to the setup now so I'll leave it as it is. I just figured you'd always have the back brake assigned to your dominant hand. You learn something new every day :)
    But why? you main brake is your front brake.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    I did swap brakes on my new bike.

I got used to rear brake on RHS and front on LHS (EU standard) ,so when I bought new bike herein UK I had to swap them over.

Easy to do - as Rookie said, undo brake hoses - they should be long enough to swap over. Do not press on the brake lever when the hoses are disconnected.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But why? you main brake is your front brake.

Lots of kids (people I suppose) are taught not to use the front brake too much as you'll go over the bars.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kinioo
    If you do want to swap, they are Shimano according to http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/238188009/SCOTT-Spark-730-Bike/ and so you need to remove both hoses from levers and swap over, the hoses will probably be long enough to cope (check first!) and they may need bleeding. For the price of the bike it should have been able to negotiate the seller doing t for you.

For me it makes no sense to swap though.

When I ordered my Anthem form Pauls Bikes I asked if they can swap the brakes for me to suit EU standard - they said they cannot as by law they have to deliver bikes in UK spec within UK.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd call BS on that, I'm pretty sure the law is silent on which lever goes where, it may be company policy or Giant policy, but law, no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    I'd call BS on that, I'm pretty sure the law is silent on which lever goes where, it may be company policy or Giant policy, but law, no.

Don't know?

This is what I was told - probably they are too lazy to do it...anyway it was 5min job for me.

Chris