Garmin Edge 25

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I wonder what the assembled panel's opinion is of the new Garmin Edge 25 https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports-recreation/cycling/edge-25/prod508489.html

A very small computer by Garmin's standards, LCD screen, but can connect to HRM, cadence and the likes (but not power). Unlike the Edge 200 or 500 it can upload wirelessly through your Smartphone, so no need to plug into a PC which was always my issue with the cheaper devices. Retail is £140.

Comments

• johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    It doesn't seem to display HR, only which zone. I assume it will record actual HR though. This might means the phasing out of 200/500, which would be a problem for those training on power, who don't need the mapping features.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I've been quite excited about this device but looking at the manual
    http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//Edge_20-25_OM_EN.pdf

it seems it charges via a custom cradle thingy. Not via the usual micro-USB. So the idea of charging it from an external battery while out riding is out of the question unless I bring the original cable with me. Argh, Garmin, I really want to like your products but you don't make it easy!
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    for my old eyes the display at 23mm x 23m is just too small so I'm waiting for the Lezynes at 30.4 x 37.8 which should be available by end July. See here http://www.lezyne.com/products-gps.php
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I've been quite excited about this device but looking at the manual
    http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//Edge_20-25_OM_EN.pdf

it seems it charges via a custom cradle thingy. Not via the usual micro-USB. So the idea of charging it from an external battery while out riding is out of the question unless I bring the original cable with me. Argh, Garmin, I really want to like your products but you don't make it easy!

Why do Garmin do that? A device that looks absolutely fantastic on paper and then they ruin it by having a stupid charging method. I take it that there is not a charging mount for using on the bike.... ?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    They obviously use a charging dock so that they dont have to waterproof a usb port. But that means you have to carry the dock with you and cant charge on the move - CRAZY!!!

Now maybe it would have made sense if the dock was a quarter turn mount with a slot for USB on the side - so that you could use it as your mount on the bike if you want the extra charging.

Oh well...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm desperately hoping that Lezyne make a good fist of it because, after about 10 years, I'm just so sick of Garmin and their half-arsed products.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm desperately hoping that Lezyne make a good fist of it because, after about 10 years, I'm just so sick of Garmin and their half-arsed products.

I'm planning on buying the top model next month when I'm in Florida I'll let you know how it compares
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    Why don't Garmin learn from Sony to utilize true waterproof USB port? Sony's design don't need a rubber cap! And speaking of USB port... Micro USB port please, or even a type c.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • balb0wa
    balb0wa Posts: 32
    i hope they dont phase out the 500 , i love mine, id happily buy another, i think the 500 is still a big seller for garmin.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    They had me right up until the lack of 1 second recording & inability to connect a Tempe...
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    You see, this is the problem that Garmin face. Everyone wants something different and if they tried to support everything then they would be compromising on size or battery life.

I think it's clear that there's going to be a new 500 and 800 in the very near future, which will include things such as power meter support and on-the-go charging. This is not it.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You see, this is the problem that Garmin face. Everyone wants something different and if they tried to support everything then they would be compromising on size or battery life.

I think it's clear that there's going to be a new 500 and 800 in the very near future, which will include things such as power meter support and on-the-go charging. This is not it.
    Er, a new 500 and 800? You mean the 510 and 810 which came out two years ago?

The 510 had a lot of improvements, but equally several features that were a step backwards - it was bigger and heavier, with a colour screen which is that bit harder to read in direct sunlight, in turn leading to worse battery life. If I wanted a device that big I'd probably have just picked up an 800 at one of the semi-regular Amazon fire sales, then at least had the option of maps.

You say that Garmin 'Can't please everybody' but not supporting power meter's is fairly blatantly an artificial limitation on a device that isn't *that* cheap. They did the same with the Garmin Touring Plus - it'll only talk to ant+ HR sensors - this isn't because of different hardware requirements, it's to artificially segment the products.

To be honest, the lack of 1-second logging interval is the only thing that would actually bother me as it stands, but it's still a stupid limitation given the device's glonass capabilities - it's like, lets give it greater spatial accuracy while at the same time reducing it's temporal accuracy.

The non-standard charge port is fairly understandable when you see just how tiny it is - you can see the comparison on DC Rainmaker here:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/06/garmin-edge-20-25.html
    I mean, it's not great but if you can sync rides via bluetooth it isn't such a big deal.

I dunno, it's just a bit of a shame as I'm sure a lot of us looked at the headline specs and thought this looks like a leaner, meaner replacement for the rather long in the tooth Edge 500, unfortunately it isn't quite that simple. Everything I don't like about it is fixable in a firmware upgrade, it's just that upgrade will probably never arrive. :(
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    The size of it would have made for a good race day computer (one that people would perhaps have in addition to one of the bigger units that have mapping and other features) however the lack of ant+ power is a big drawback there.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Did I miss something here? Which model doesn't support ant+ power meters?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Did I miss something here? Which model doesn't support ant+ power meters?

neither the 25 supports heart and speed and what not. But not power. and the 20 nowt.

for myself I have a 200 and see little to attract me.
  • saemi
    saemi Posts: 5
    It doesn't seem to display HR, only which zone. I assume it will record actual HR though. This might means the phasing out of 200/500, which would be a problem for those training on power, who don't need the mapping features.

I read your comment which, if true, would make the product look worse to me. I looked into it and found a video which shows that both BPM and Heart Rate Zone can be displayed.
    https://youtu.be/GtJtgd3UBqY?t=4m20s
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    they look rubbish, need a custom dock to charge and don't support all ant+ functionality. also the battery life of 8 hours is probably fairly optimistic. no 1 second recording.

they fill a gap in the market place that wasn't actually there.