Trek 1.1 vs Carrera Road Bike

dejw195
dejw195 Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm just thinking about getting my first road bike, I don' really want to spend huge amount of money at first to see if I like it or not.
I found few bikes, the first one is second hand Trek 1.1 2011 priced at 300 euros.
A two others are Carrera Road Bikes from Halfords prices at around 350 euros.

My question is whether it is better to buy second hand trek bike or new Carrera bike from halfords?

Thanks in advance !
David

Comments

• dejw195
    Please, if someone has any suggestion let me know asap as this trek bike might be gone soon !
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    Personally i would get a new Tribian or similar as you can get a new one for same price as the 2nd hand ones. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-359113-road-bikes?gclid=CM7olYq4rcYCFQb4wgodQnIHjw

Guessing the 2nd hand ones you see are ok for your size?

Between the 2 if same overall condition i would go for Trek.
  • dejw195
    Yes, the size of the trek is perfect for me, so basically is it worth buying second hand trek bike or new bike from some other companies for the same price?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Buy the Trek if it is in good condition, by that I mean, does not have excessively worn transmission components, shifters/brakes levers work properly and BB, hub, headset bearings are sound. Check the bike for signs of crash damage, frame out of alignment, damaged/bent RD hanger, check the forks are straight. Look for excessive wear on the rims and check for any broken spokes, out of true wheel.
  • dejw195
    I bought the trek 1.1 and its just perfect ! It suit me very well and is in absolutely perfect condition breakes/gears change smoothly and its just a pleasure to ride.
    Thanks for your suggestions !
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    I have a Trek 1.1 2011 which I bought 2nd hand in late 2012 for about £300, It has done everything I needed since but I changed the cassette to a Sram 12-28 as the 12-25 was idiotic. In the 2 1/2 years I've had it I've used 3 cassettes and 4 chains....cassettes about £15 and chains £8, I don't see the point in spending more. I changed the bar tape twice, £7 per time. Changed the wheels for Fulcrum 7 after a while, they were £118 including tubes & tyres.
    It has done an exceptional job, and yours will do a great job for you, too.