What smartphone to carry while riding?

riderlikehell87
riderlikehell87 Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I am a newbie in this forum, intermediate cyclist with a HASA COMP 3.0 MTB + HASA R3 Road bike based at Bangalore, India.
I often wondered what smartphone should be ideal to carry along with bars and stuff on long rides / off road rides? I don't want any phone that is heavier than 130-140 gms with casing. Also I don't want a phone larger than 4.9 inches in display size.

Cheers
Boon :)

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I take my work one as I don't want to damage my personal one
  • my main concern is already bike is gonna be heavy (esp off road MTBs) and given the terrain + my body weight, so i wanna minimize the load wherever possible. that's why im very keen on a light weight and less space occupying smartphone...
    on a road bike...its not much of a worry coz myne is at 9.8 kilos ....but here too wud love to carry a lighter phone...my current phone weighs in at 190g ..dats right, 190gms !! :roll:
  • Why do you need to carry a phone?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    I often wondered what smartphone should be ideal)

iPhone.
    Why do you need to carry a phone?

Strava.

/thread.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    iPhone 6 Plus

Why? Incase I need to make or receive a call!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Why do you need to carry a phone?

That's not as daft a question as it sounds.

As a youth I cycled thousands of miles, sometimes away for 2 or 3 days at a time, and didn't take a mobile phone because they hadn't been invented. Never had to make a phone call in all that time.

More recently the only time I've needed to phone home because of a mechanical I found I had zero reception :roll:

So if you're seriously worried about weight, leave it at home.

If you wish to pursue the weight weenie phone issue, you'd be better off on a mobile phone website / forum I think
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Hi All,

I am a newbie in this forum, intermediate cyclist with a HASA COMP 3.0 MTB + HASA R3 Road bike based at Bangalore, India.
    I often wondered what smartphone should be ideal to carry along with bars and stuff on long rides / off road rides? I don't want any phone that is heavier than 130-140 gms with casing. Also I don't want a phone larger than 4.9 inches in display size.

Cheers
    Boon :)

The best phone is the one you have! If you want to buy a new phone there are plenty good ones with screen sizes < 4.9". iPhone 6 amongst them.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I used to carry my old smart phone, an HTC Desire. Its OK if I need to make an emergency call but found it useless if looking at maps, taking and uploading a photo to Facebook/Instagram or trying to find someones contact details on Facebook. The club contacts are on google so I have them but there other contacts are not synced with my main phone.

I now carry my main phone, a Galaxy Note II in a silicone type of case. Its 2.5 years old so don't worry if it gets damaged and its much easier to use.

To the OP - think about what you would want to use a phone for. As others have said, your current phone is probably as good as any. If you have an additional phone, you'll also need an additional sim card with new number and a PAYG top up. Its a bit of a faff.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    So your current phone weighs 190 grams and you dont want a phone any heavier that 140 grams. If you want to save 50 grams then just put 50ml less water in your bottle...... :D
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I'm currently riding with the phone I'm locked into a contract with, Samsung S5, no special bike phone I'm afraid.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Unless the phone had a small part in the 1987 film Wall Street I wouldn't worry about it.