broken spokes - replace rim or spokes?

juice0187
juice0187 Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
(first post sorry for any mistakes) hey guys i searched online for info on fixing my bike but found out its not as simple as i thought; i own a schwinn protocol 1.0 here is a picture of what the rims look like (Alloy High Profile Rims w/ Black Bladed Spokes - 26in)
stars-circle-swift-arriv-double-carbon-aluminumfront-rear-wheel-set-americanlisted_33690663.jpg
my first problem was a broken chain guard on rear than one day my chain slipped in between the spokes and gears breaking one of the spokes than more started to break, some under pressure from load, jumps or wheelies and others by chain after about two months now i lost about 8 spokes; rim is still true from adjustments i have made using spoke tool..

so to fix the problem i took an old rim i had laying around but the spoke was too long, so i then went online and found out is not as simple; you find your replacement by measuring several things so im stuck not knowing what size or type to buy...

so i though why not replace whole rim, then i began searching turns out i have a freewheel so i need a new rim and freewheel removal tool but am having trouble finding a rim the same or better than the one i have as i think they are very good rims compare to rims you see on most everyday bikes.... a link to amazon or any shop site would be helpful; thanks guys, i hope someone here has the info that i need

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    maybe just get a new rear wheel?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy way to find the spoke size is measure one.

But that lacing pattern looks a bit weird, and possibly not the strongest wheel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The trouble is that if the spoke holes on the hub are evenly spaced, then there are probably 4 different length spokes in that build! I'd be looking for a decent replacement wheel, new or used, and making sure the rear mech stops are set correctly before using it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • juice0187
    thanks for your help!! so onto finding a new rim it is then.

my rim is the original from stock and it says on the side of it "stars circle 26 x 1.75/1.95 559" and i'm sorry for previous post saying it was a freewheel https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100706180928AAKRIAz, this guy on yahoo said it was a freehub; i've looked on amazon using that size "26 x 1.75/1.95 559" + "freehub" + "double wall alloy" but cant confirm that is exactly what i need can you guys lend a pal a hand finding one online or would i have to bite the bullet and fork over some cash to my lbs..

thanks again for your help...
  • The Rookie
    New rim and spokes will set you back at least £40, for that you are into being able to get a built wheel for the same money, with probably a better hub, have a look on Merlincycles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Judging from the link it's a bit BSO, with a rear V brake, so needs to be V compatible with a braking surface.
    I'm assuming the OP is not in the UK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • juice0187
    you're right cooldad im in maryland, us; merlincycles is in uk and shipping is around $20 to the us, but i found out jensonusa.com is just as good judging from reviews that i've looked up; anyways i found this on their site http://www.jensonusa.com/Dimension-w-Alex-X2000-26-MTB-Wheels im getting the "rear, non-disk, 32h, qr, 8/9sp freehub" type, it should cost me around $59 after shipping, i would like to know what you guys think about it..

do you guys know if my rim is freehub or freewheel? i would like to be able to transfer my gears to this rim (freehub) if not than i guess i would need a new set of gears for a freehub because from what i've read freehub is the way to go versus freewheel.. thanks
  • The Rookie
    Take a photo of the rear gears along the line of the axle so we can see how they are removed, or look yourself and google cassette and freewheel to get an idea.