Santini Bib Shorts

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm in the market for some bib shorts and I like Santini. I have a pair of NAT carz which are comfortable but I think they are a bit too pro race oriented and have not lasted so well. I've got three years out of them but they are on the way out now. The main problem is the piping that goes around the edge of the braces is bonded on and this has started to come away from the braces. I want a pair with a NAT chamois that is sewn in and the piping sewn on - no glue anywhere.

I'm thinking of the Smarter or Edge shorts. Anyone have a pair of these or have any suggestions?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    I've got a pair of the Edge. Really impressed so far. Look and feel like a well made piece of kit. The legs are fairly long with good grippers. The pad feels quite compact and so far has proved comfortable on longer rides. My only complaint is that the pad is white which doesn't seem the most sensible colour!
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I've had some Edge ones, I like them, however they are still my third choice. But at the price point can't complain
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I've got a pair of the Edge. Really impressed so far. Look and feel like a well made piece of kit. The legs are fairly long with good grippers. The pad feels quite compact and so far has proved comfortable on longer rides. My only complaint is that the pad is white which doesn't seem the most sensible colour!

As above great shorts - they are same as orica green edge team issue but in black. The NAT2 pad is great if a daft colour. Mine are grey (the pad) now after being through a few dark washes! Do check which pad your are getting, the edge has the NAT 2 pad, some of the cheaper ones have the MAX pad which is good but not the gel pad and hence not as good as the NAT2.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • earth
    I agree the pad is the wrong colour. The one on my existing shorts is grey as well. But then the white braces are yellow/orange/grey as well. In fact anything white turns a dirty colour pretty quick and the suggested 30^ wash doesn't have a chance of getting it clean.

But for the people who have the Edge bibs.

1. Is the pad sewn in or bonded?
    2. Is the material around the edges of the braces sewn on or bonded?

The same questions go to anyone with the Smart/Smarter bibs.

It is the bonded on parts of the bibs that fail and the reason I am looking for some more.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    The pad on my Edge shorts appears to be stitched in and the material edging the bib straps is also stitched.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, chamois is stitched in. Great quality shorts for the money but they do have a high front so it's impossible to have a natural break without undressing, which is a pain on long rises.
  • earth
    The Edge ones sound almost perfect except for the long legs. Not sure I want that. Does anyone have the Smart or Smarter bibs?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Edge shorts are slightly longer than, say, Castelli FAR or Body Paint but they are not overly long. Thing is, we all have different sized legs and thighs so you may find the Edge shorts to be perfect for you. I would certainly recommend trying a pair on for size if that is possible because they are really nice shorts that go with any top you care to wear