Team kits on children

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited June 2015 in Road general
Hello everyone.

I was just wondering what peoples' opinions are on children wearing team/champion's kits or jerseys - I know that there are a myriad of opinions on adults wearing team or champions kits but was just wondering on peoples' opinions for children/juniors (lets say below the age of 16?).

Matthew
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Anyone who has a problem with a kid wearing team kit is a bell3nd if you ask me.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I think it would be great to see children riding in their heroes kit, proof that cycling had reached a wider audience.
  • Matthewfalle
    Hello everyone.

I was just wondering what peoples' opinions are on children wearing team/champion's kits or jerseys - I know that there are a myriad of opinions on adults wearing team or champions kits but was just wondering on peoples' opinions for children/juniors (lets say below the age of 16?).

Matthew

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

When discussions arise with regard to the wearing of team/champions kits by adults then there is usually a fairly dynamic and passionate discussion by people on both sides of the (so to speak) Lycra divide, so it's interesting to see if these beliefs (if that's the right word) filter down to their children/children of others.

It's fairly anthropological when looking at the psychology of the branding as opposed to the following of a sport or team.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Children have always worn team kits, and I suspect, always will. It something most grow out of. I find it odd you need to start a debate about it?

That as maybe, to be sure - thank you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • turbote
    turbote Posts: 24
    Children have always worn team kits, and I suspect, always will. It something most grow out of. I find it odd you need to start a debate about it?

Why do I need to grow out of it?

I'm 16, I have a Sky and a Garmin jersey, and a pair of World Champ socks.
    Am i not allowed to enjoy myself and pretend to be Chris Froome? I'm sure if you asked him he wouldn't care if I wore a Sky jersey, hell he'd probably say go for it. I'm never going to ride for Sky, or be World Champ, but what's the actual reason I can't wear some of the same kit? Just because?

I don't get why people who hate team-kit-wearers have to try and defend the magic of the team kit when they don't even ride for the teams, or wear the rainbow bands. I do think wearing a world champ jersey is a step too far, but W.C socks? Why not.

This whole fiasco about team kit would probably never of happened if it wasn't for the velominati "rules".

And people complain about cycling being an outsider sport but then tell people what to wear, what to ride etc... There's just no need for it imo. Let people express themselves, wear their favourite kit, it's a free country after all.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    I think it's safe to say any child wearing a team kit should be run over thus putting them off the sport altogether so as to avoid them becoming a FPKW later in life.

It's harsh but ultimately the right thing to do.

:roll:
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • turbote
    Come back and read what you just wrote when you're 50 and you'll understand...

It's not just the "pretending" concept of wearing the kit. Sure it's funny to glare at my stem as I spin up the hills, but at the end of the day I still support x teams and x riders, and that will continue in 10, 20, 30 years time etc. And anyway, i like my Sky jersey, it's a perfect fit for me, it's comfortable. If you're that bothered then you probably need to get something else to worry about. Surely you'd be glad that there's children/teenagers who, like Elfed said, want to follow the sport especially when there's people being so snobby about it.

It's an absolute shame that the snobbery of some people who follow this sport go to such lengths to bully and shun those who just happen to wear a certain jersey. I don't think you get that in any other sports. 90% of people who hate team kit wearers probably don't give a **ck about people with football shirts with Rooney on the back if they see them in the street. It just boggles me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    I don't ever recall seeing a kid in Team Banana kit when I was young. They would have been a laughing stock.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    We should (and can) all wear what we want to wear.

When my children were small, team kits in their sizes were few.... and I thought it rather silly to buy them - so as I was paying they wore whatever they wore.

What now strikes me as odd about tiny (or less tiny) children in team kit sweating their way around the A-Roads in Dad's shadow is that road racing is simply an odd sport for the very young to 'get into'.

I do not say that it is wrong, but it seems slightly 'try-hard' to see kids of 11, 12 or 13 doing the whole Wiggo thing with parental encouragement.

In the lands where cycling has long been an obsession and a family pursuit, one rarely sees this. Young teens, insofar as they race - and often they do - will wear their own club colours.

It is not in France, Italy, Benelux, Spain and all the rest that one sees kids in pro-peloton kit. It's in the UK.

It's fine, it's up to the individual, but it's a weird bit of parental pressure playing on little ones who are (frankly) hardly likely to find stage racing that interesting.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Whay anyone would spend time bothering about what others wear to ride a bike is utterly beyond me.

People who slate other cyclist with venom about what they wear are dicks IMO

And anyone who would slate a child for wearing team kit needs there frame wrapped about their heed.

Some folk need to get a life. As long as they are cycling I couldn`t give a shit what they wear.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • turbote
    Like I said most grow out of it... some don't, and some end up wearing over-sized Rooney shirts over their 40 year old bellies

What are you trying to imply?

What people wear doesn't affect you. Stop being a tool. You're not better than someone else just because they're wearing a team jersey and you're not. Jesus Christ
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217

Why do I need to grow out of it?

I'm 16, I have a Sky and a Garmin jersey, and a pair of World Champ socks.
    Am i not allowed to enjoy myself and pretend to be Chris Froome? I'm sure if you asked him he wouldn't care if I wore a Sky jersey, hell he'd probably say go for it. I'm never going to ride for Sky, or be World Champ, but what's the actual reason I can't wear some of the same kit? Just because?

I don't get why people who hate team-kit-wearers have to try and defend the magic of the team kit when they don't even ride for the teams, or wear the rainbow bands. I do think wearing a world champ jersey is a step too far, but W.C socks? Why not.

This whole fiasco about team kit would probably never of happened if it wasn't for the velominati "rules".

And people complain about cycling being an outsider sport but then tell people what to wear, what to ride etc... There's just no need for it imo. Let people express themselves, wear their favourite kit, it's a free country after all.

That's a bit contradictory. In your first sentence you're defending the right to wear team kit and the rainbow bands but then followed it up by saying wearing the world champions jersey (but not the socks) is 'too far'. Too far along what? Is there a rating system for jerseys, where team kit is just about acceptable but the Rainbow Jersey doesn't cut it? I agreed with you up to that point, nothing wrong with wearing team kit/champions jerseys. If there is a problem, it might be that the quality of team/champions jerseys isn't that great so you should wear better fitting/performing kit.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The OP is odd for posting it, of course kids will never get frowned upon for their kit by anyone.

Turbote you've taken it a bit personally but please don't think you belong in a group that will be frowned upon either, what's hinted at above is basically at 16 you're still young, us older lot will see you as young (you lucky sod :) ).

But likelyhood is that well before you're 50 (I'll wager 25) you'll start to realise that seeing fully grown men in fancy dress is an entirely different thing to youngsters. Don't get me wrong, it's not offensive to see them dressed like that, not at all, it's funny. It's a mixture of finding it funny, thinking someone looks a prat, and feeling embarrassed for them, this really only happens full whack when they have the whole FPKW look going on. At 16, you've got nothing to worry about, no one will view you this way (apart from the OP who for some weird reason had to ask!).
  • Matthewfalle
    But surely it's the dynamic of the modern sports person per se and the individual's influence over the media dynamic that is driving this?

To be honest, I find it a diametric malaise that one should even consider, a pro pros, the instigation/castigation of the prime subject, but I think that the rationale in the above posts does show the dynamic we're dealing with.

thank you very much so far - as above, from an anthropological view point this is turning very interesting- anyone else have any more thoughts?

Personally, it's the 100% complete opposite of what mafin said - I'm all for anyone of any age wearing whatever they want - there's too much unhappiness in this world and if someone can be happy by being themselves then, as the Antipodeans say - good on ya. I just asked the question out of interest - nothing at all to do with personal cares.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I suppose it depends, if you believe nobody should wear team kit except those who are paid by said team, then they should be pushed off their bike, run over and hunted by dogs.

If you think anyone can wear what they like? Well as children they should still be hunted. And you are wrong, people can't wear what they like, some things just don't suit you. For example cruddders in lycra.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Like I said most grow out of it... some don't, and some end up wearing over-sized Rooney shirts over their 40 year old bellies

Rubbish, pro cycling kit, preferably from the 80s or 90s, over a 40 year old pot belly, preferably Italian, is beyond cool.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It can be very confusing though, I mean I saw a child of about 10 or 11 in full Maglia Rosa kit and I did think for a minute that the rest of the Giro Peleton would be along soon, so even though I needed to cross the road I waited where I was as I didn't want to cause a crash by stepping into the path of a 50kmh bunch of pro cyclists.

Then I realised it was June and I was in Wolverhampton. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    But surely it's the dynamic of the modern sports person per se and the individual's influence over the media dynamic that is driving this?

To be honest, I find it a diametric malaise that one should even consider, a pro pros, the instigation/castigation of the prime subject, but I think that the rationale in the above posts does show the dynamic we're dealing with.

thank you very much so far - as above, from an anthropological view point this is turning very interesting- anyone else have any more thoughts?

Personally, it's the 100% complete opposite of what mafin said - I'm all for anyone of any age wearing whatever they want - there's too much unhappiness in this world and if someone can be happy by being themselves then, as the Antipodeans say - good on ya. I just asked the question out of interest - nothing at all to do with personal cares.
    I've figured it out. You are having therapy to deal with you inner self loathing. Your therapist thinks you should try putting yourself in the position of OP so that you can feel the love of your fellow man? I'm right aren't I?

Wear what you want for cycling. Except trainers. That's what I say.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    the rule is easy.

when you are under 16 wearing the kit of your favourite team or cyclist is 100% fine and 100% encouraged. Even extending to the rainbow stripes. The difference is that you are (at least in a small way) aspiring to one day earn them yourself.
    Insert bike here:
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    A rule for anyone over 18. You can wear a team jersey or kit with a name on it, as long as the name of the person on the back is older than you.

Think about it, it's fool proof. You can thank me later.
  • Matthewfalle

I've figured it out. You are having therapy to deal with you inner self loathing. Your therapist thinks you should try putting yourself in the position of OP so that you can feel the love of your fellow man? I'm right aren't I?

I'm sorry - I am surprised by the aggressive nature of the post and I must admit to being, well, a tad disappointed. There is a time and a place for "banter".

I'm just after general people's opinions on a subject that seems to raise such contention amongst people who all profess to loving cycling - the sport, and to a certain extent (and exténte if I may! :) ) to which we all follow.

I see the forum as a spine of the domestic cycling world to which we touch - we aren't professional riders however the spine is like a stack of bricks: without the supportive nature (both physical, psychological and moral of the same) the rest of the structure (in this case the body - and the theoretical soul) have no support. Our body is us on the British roads, fighting against the same things we all fight against everyday - bad drivers, bad roads, bad attitudes, bad weather, dodgy derailleurs.

To obtain opinions, garner discussion, promote both individuality and the collectiveness (or the anja chakra) of ourselves in one place is great.

So again, the aggressive tone of the above post is surprising but I hope that other people will help with their thoughts - if anything it may help a wider audience who are currently anti pro team kit accommodate (and maybe understand?) those youngsters who will be the future (not only the future Cancellaras, Gilberts, Wiggins' of our sport, by the local marshals, chairpersons, treasurers, secretaries and stalwarts of the club scene) of our develop themselves.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    It can be very confusing though, I mean I saw a child of about 10 or 11 in full Maglia Rosa kit and I did think for a minute that the rest of the Giro peloton would be along soon, so even though I needed to cross the road I waited where I was as I didn't want to cause a crash by stepping into the path of a 50kmh bunch of pro cyclists.

Then I realised it was June and I was in Wolverhampton. :D

To be fair to the 11yr old, he probably has the same sized arms as a pro cyclist.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

thank you very much so far - as above, from an anthropological view point this is turning very interesting- anyone else have any more thoughts

I'm sorry - I am surprised by the aggressive nature of the post and I must admit to being, well, a tad disappointed. There is a time and a place for "banter".

I'm just after general people's opinions on a subject that seems to raise such contention amongst people who all profess to loving cycling - the sport, and to a certain extent (and exténte if I may! :) ) to which we all follow.

I see the forum as a spine of the domestic cycling world to which we touch - we aren't professional riders however the spine is like a stack of bricks: without the supportive nature (both physical, psychological and moral of the same) the rest of the structure (in this case the body - and the theoretical soul) have no support. Our body is us on the British roads, fighting against the same things we all fight against everyday - bad drivers, bad roads, bad attitudes, bad weather, dodgy derailleurs.

To obtain opinions, garner discussion, promote both individuality and the collectiveness (or the anja chakra) of ourselves in one place is great.

So again, the aggressive tone of the above post is surprising but I hope that other people will help with their thoughts - if anything it may help a wider audience who are currently anti pro team kit accommodate (and maybe understand?) those youngsters who will be the future (not only the future Cancellaras, Gilberts, Wiggins' of our sport, by the local marshals, chairpersons, treasurers, secretaries and stalwarts of the club scene) of our develop themselves.
    oh God what a dreadful misjudgement I have made. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I like team kit. Especially Mapei. If there's one thing always reminds me of great moments in cycling, it's grout.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865

Do you find people banging their heads on tables when in your company?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Team kits on kids no problem, full team kit's on adults a bit dodgy imo. Polka dot jerserys on riders who have to walk up 5% inclines :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My favourite jersey to wear on my road bike is an MTB one....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    My favourite jersey to wear on my road bike is an MTB one....
    There was a thread in the MTB section complaining about people on MTB's wearing SKY road kit. Thankfully the general consensus was wear what you like.
  • jonbob78
    jonbob78 Posts: 70
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bikeradar.com%2Fforums%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D13025422%26p%3D19590920&ei=SkSNVdCTBdCR7Ab6rqOYCQ&psig=AFQjCNFoo2f5lxg1x4-IgnkXVO8iWEMPSg&ust=1435407768067527
  • turbote
    Sorry if anyone thought I was having a big of a rant, people just dismiss it as the hormones at my age :) .

And I do have to agree the views about the "full" FKW's ; jersey, shorts socks caps etc. That is a step too far, just as the full footy shirt/shorts/long socks look would be a bit too much of a look for most people imo. But on the other hand I wouldn't really care if I saw someone in it - it's just I wouldn't wear the full pro kit look myself, just a jersey or a pair of socks.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My 15yr old son now has Castelli Garmin Team kit - but only because the bodypaint bibshorts and jersey are the best you can get and would normally be too expensive for someone who will grow out of them soon but were stupidly cheap in the sale AND because they actually look really good in my opinion.

They look so good that I actually bought a jersey for me too, but would never wear it while out with him! I would have bought the bibs but I dont get on with the sizing on the bodypaint and so wear free aeros all the time.

I almost bought him a team sky jersey when they were crazy cheap last year because I think they look really good but one of his friends got one and he didnt want to be the same - so he got a Foska Marmite jersey instead!