Is it going to get any better ?

djfleming22
djfleming22 Posts: 116
edited July 2015 in Road general
My local council North Ayrshire had closed down a road i use quite frequently for repair the stretch of road was about 3 miles long, the road was closed for 19 days as the road was quite bad, i thought today let see how good it is, the council have repaired about 300yds of new tarmac all the other parts of the road have been filled in with that gravel crap, the holes were that deep you might have fallen in now you feel if you are climbing a hill, i think a 5 years old with a bucket and spade filled them as they are not the smoothest.

I would hate to think that that someone from the roads dept at North Ayrshire council came out to have a look and thought that i was ok to leave the road in such a dangerous state not only to cyclist but motorcyclist a like.

I heard that some of the city's want to drop the speed lift to 20mph because of safety fears but to hell with everyone else outside the city limits, sorry North Ayrshire Council your named and shamed and pathetic.

Everyday that i go out its the same old thing miss that pot hole, rumble across that road that's been down for 30 years, jump over that hole filled by a 5 year old, watch out for that car trying to kill you so he can get home 5 minutes earlier, i do not mean to turn this into a rant but for godsake are the councils going to fix the bloody roads soon or are we going to have to ride about in 32mm tyres on our road bike for better comfort, i am on 25mm just now and its not comfortable at all. I am not asking for silky smooth roads everywhere but let me look around me 2 seconds when i am on my bike without hitting a pothole, or just let that ticket come up on Saturday and i can get out of here...lol......

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I rode the Ayrshire Alps early spring last year. Absolutely bloody fantastic cycling…until you got to the lower areas. I’ve never seen roads that bad in all my cycling. Some of the pot holes were HUGE!!! From speaking to the woman who owned the B&B we stayed in she said the Council are completely skint. You’ll probably know more than me. A real shame because up in the hills on the windfarm roads it was blackboard smooth. We’re still going back this autumn though ;-)
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Not sure if it is North Ayrshire or East Ayrshire who are responsible but i was going down the Old Glasgow Road to Stewarton a few weeks ago and it was a great surface for most of the way - made it a pleasure to cycle on...went back on it at the weekend and its now been covered in a half arsed chip and seal job with loose stones everywhere making it a danger to cyclists and motorcyclists. :evil:
  • djfleming22
    djfleming22 Posts: 116
    If you go down the Barrhead to Irvine road and take the cut off to Kilwinning the road is the same there its a bloody disgrace no care whatsoever for anyone.. the Tories have said its back to Victorian qualities i didn't know that included the roads as well..lol
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Not sure if it is North Ayrshire or East Ayrshire who are responsible but i was going down the Old Glasgow Road to Stewarton a few weeks ago and it was a great surface for most of the way - made it a pleasure to cycle on...went back on it at the weekend and its now been covered in a half arsed chip and seal job with loose stones everywhere making it a danger to cyclists and motorcyclists. :evil:
    I'm assuming that loose chip treatment must be very cheap for the councils, because it seems to get used everywhere, sometimes even when a complete resurfacing didn't seem to be needed. And as you say, it leaves the road in a really dangerous state for a couple of weeks afterwards, until the traffic and the weather combine to get rid of all the drifts of gravel that are left on it. The thing that really annoys me is that they clearly admit the surface is dangerous by posting all the "loose chipping" and "20mph max" signs around the affected area, but then they seem to feel as if they've done all they can and everyone just has to live with it. Ridiculous.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    We have a apartment in Turnberry and regularly cycle over the coastal route, it's a beautiful place.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    My local council North Ayrshire had closed down a road i use quite frequently for repair the stretch of road was about 3 miles long, the road was closed for 19 days as the road was quite bad, i thought today let see how good it is, the council have repaired about 300yds of new tarmac all the other parts of the road have been filled in with that gravel crap, the holes were that deep you might have fallen in now you feel if you are climbing a hill, i think a 5 years old with a bucket and spade filled them as they are not the smoothest.

I would hate to think that that someone from the roads dept at North Ayrshire council came out to have a look and thought that i was ok to leave the road in such a dangerous state not only to cyclist but motorcyclist a like.

I heard that some of the city's want to drop the speed lift to 20mph because of safety fears but to hell with everyone else outside the city limits, sorry North Ayrshire Council your named and shamed and pathetic.

Was delivering in that area a few weeks back and pulled over for my lunch and some of the road workers were there and I said as a cyclist this "throw chips doon stuff" is cheap rubbish, and the guy said your right it's cheap rubbish. It's downright dangerous also no sign of a road sweeper to suck the overspill up. Maybe a few claims from irate motorists who've had their shiny new car paint works chipped, maybe change the councils mind ? :evil:

Everyday that i go out its the same old thing miss that pot hole, rumble across that road that's been down for 30 years, jump over that hole filled by a 5 year old, watch out for that car trying to kill you so he can get home 5 minutes earlier, i do not mean to turn this into a rant but for godsake are the councils going to fix the bloody roads soon or are we going to have to ride about in 32mm tyres on our road bike for better comfort, i am on 25mm just now and its not comfortable at all. I am not asking for silky smooth roads everywhere but let me look around me 2 seconds when i am on my bike without hitting a pothole, or just let that ticket come up on Saturday and i can get out of here...lol......
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The only way you will change this, or encourage some debate on the matter, is to speak to your local councillor. Surgery details are posted on the NAC website. The councillor will raise it with the Head of Roads and come back with information. You can ask him or her to raise it at the appropriate committee meeting. Please note that councils are not responsible for trunk roads (A78, A737, A738). These are maintained by the Scottish Government through its Transerv body. Also, Stewarton is in East Ayrshire which operates a joint roads department with South Ayrshire.
  • They even do this 'surface dressing' crap on the main roads in central bristol.
    It's especially dangerous for cyclists as the motorised traffic just disperses all the gravelly grit into the edge of the road where all the cycle lanes are so it's like trying to ride on sand for weeks!

On the a38 Gloucester Road in Filton they have literally spread the sticky stuff over the cycle lane and plastered the gravel over the top so now the cycle lane markings can't be seen. Been like this for 6 months.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    To be honest it's the same all over the UK.

Cash-strapped councils + cheap road dressing = Botched-up roads.

Thatchers Britain!