Speedplay in the wet?

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693
    With that I suspect your back to trolling and so I'm out. If anyone wants to ask me a sensible question, please do.

Once again I apologise for FA bringing a forum spat into the thread (and for the sarky post that will now follow)
    I really don't understand what your problem is, but you are making a tit of yourself.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    whatever, keep up with your "maturity". It's really shining through this week... :roll:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    DKay, thanks for the feedback on the titanium spindles on eBay. Have been thinking about those but wanted to get some feedback on them. Do they have a weight rating at all? The Speedplay Titanium's have a rider limit of 185lbs (13st 3).

The listing doesn't specify any weight limit, but I'd go off the the recommendation of the official Speedplay Ti axles. A couple of bits of advice though;

The axles are 3mm shorter than the standard cro-moly steel ones.

Fitting the axles is a 20min job from start to finish, but be really careful removing the T20 torx bolts which reside under the plastic grease port covers. They are blue Loctited-in and the head of the bolt is really shallow and easy to round off. Make sure your torx bit is a good quality one and press down hard before unscrewing. I rounded-off one of mine, so had to resort to smashing a T20 torx bit into the damaged head, then heating the end over the hob to soften the Loctite. It came out easily after that.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    shoo goo is likely useful to 'repair' the worn rubber bits on Grip Keos as well.

i am not sure of what shoe goo isn't useful for.
  • ddraver
    need to get me some shoe goo....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    So I got a reponse to my complaint from Bill -
    Hi David,
    Thank you for contacting Speedplay.
    If you take a close look at your Northwave adapters, you will see a small ridge at the front and rear of the adapter.
    This ridge has to be removed, so the Zero Aero Walkable Cleat cover can fit around the spring housing.
    This can be done with either a hand file or Dremel tool.
    Once you have done this the Cleat cover will fit like it should.

Regards,

Bill
    Speedplay Inc.
    10151 Pacific Mesa Blvd. #107
    San Diego, CA 92121
    Ph. 858.453.4707

which is fair enough - not sure if a 100 Squid set of kit should require further remodelling but that's for you to decide...
    - @ddraver
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    edited July 2015
    I have them on four of my bikes; wouldn't ride anything else for serious distance. Grease mine about three times a year - once before the summer, once after and once mid-winter; lube the shoe cleats every month or so. I use the Speedplay gun & grease - I bought a spare can of grease when I first started using Speedplay three years ago and still haven't used it, so cost isn't much of an issue. +1 for cleat covers - the aftermarket walkable covers are best for everything except racing. Note that you can also source aftermarket Ti spindles quite inexpensively, meaning that pedals equivalent to the expensive Zero Ti (apart from about 6mm more Q-factor) can be built for £100 or so if you buy CroMoly pedals wisely or used.
  • 964cup
    then heating the end over the hob to soften the Loctite. It came out easily after that.
    The trick, for next time, is to use a soldering iron to heat up the Torx bolt before trying to undo it. Works a treat.
  • ddraver
    964 - do they coome in the wider lengths as if I was going to get some I'd go wider...
    - @ddraver
  • 964cup
    964 - do they coome in the wider lengths as if I was going to get some I'd go wider...
    Aftermarket Ti spindles, you mean? Well, they're generally the same length as regular steel spindles (53mm), so 3mm longer than Speedplay's own Ti. I imagine you can source them in the 56, 59 and 65mm lengths if you try hard enough; I can't say I notice the difference between my OEM Ti pedals at 50mm, and the 53mm aftermarket ones, though.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    964Cup wrote:
    DKay[/url]"]then heating the end over the hob to soften the Loctite. It came out easily after that.
    The trick, for next time, is to use a soldering iron to heat up the Torx bolt before trying to undo it. Works a treat.

Using the hob was cheaper than buying a soldering iron. :wink:
    964Cup wrote:
    ddraver[/url]"]964 - do they coome in the wider lengths as if I was going to get some I'd go wider...
    Aftermarket Ti spindles, you mean? Well, they're generally the same length as regular steel spindles (53mm), so 3mm longer than Speedplay's own Ti. I imagine you can source them in the 56, 59 and 65mm lengths if you try hard enough; I can't say I notice the difference between my OEM Ti pedals at 50mm, and the 53mm aftermarket ones, though.

Not sure which aftermarket Ti axles you're referring to, but my J&L ones are 50mm, so the same as the official versions. Ward Titanium make longer Ti axles, but they're special order only and don't expect them to be cheap. Some people use washer spacers to increase Q-factor, but you obviously have a limit.

Speedplay only make longer axles available in stainless steel.
  • ddraver
    Yep, I think if I was going to bother it would be to get slightly wider spindles. Duck footed MTBer me, like Sagan...
    - @ddraver
  • 964cup
    Not sure which aftermarket Ti axles you're referring to, but my J&L ones are 50mm, so the same as the official versions. Ward Titanium make longer Ti axles, but they're special order only and don't expect them to be cheap. Some people use washer spacers to increase Q-factor, but you obviously have a limit.

Speedplay only make longer axles available in stainless steel.
    Most of the generic Ti spindles that ship out of China/HK are 53mm, I think, presumably because they're straight copies of the standard steel spindle. I got mine through Rulla in the UK.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Zero Cleats (wiggle) - 38.71
    covers - (amazon) - 20
    total - 58 Squids

Dura Ace cleats (wiggle) - 20

The keep on covers don't keep on very well though, neither do the cafe cleats covers.

where exactly is the bargain there?

The reality is that if Shimano released a pedal system like speedplay they would be laughed out of the market...but as i said, if you need the adjustability then they re worth it - albeit only becasue they re the only option
    Speedplay cleats last forever. I reckon mine have been used for about 20000km of cycling (can't quantify how much walking) and I'm going to replace them because the springs seem to have gotten a bit loose and now rattle a bit when walking but they still work perfectly on the bike. My preceding pair of Shimano cleats were getting iffy after maybe 4000km. So I reckon a Speedplay cleat would have to cost 4 or 5 times more than the Shimano ones before I'd consider that they might be worse value for me. Also, you're not buying something equivalent. The Speedplay cleats are far more complex than the Shimano ones and based on materials and manufacturing you'd have to expect they'd be a multiple of the cost. But it's not the point for me, my choice is based on comfort not cost. Speedplay's aren't perfect but they're a far nicer point of contact for your feet than the Shimano alternative IMO.

As for your criticism of the keep-on covers....what problems did you have?
    I can't remember exactly when I bough mine but it's at least 2 years, probably closer to 3. Since I put them on they have only been off a couple of times and that was for me to check the cleat screws were still secure. They have NEVER fallen off. They're pretty worn now so I'll probably replace them soon but like the cleats, they still function perfectly well.

Prior to buying the keep-on covers I used the coffee shop covers (for about 18 months IIRC). These too worked perfectly well and I don't remember them ever failing to stay on. However taking them on and off when getting on and off the bike and having to carry them in my jersey pocket was a pain in the ass, making the keep-on covers a far superior solution (Shoe Goo might be worth a try too!)

If you had a criticism of one aspect of Speedplays I'd think you'd been unlucky and just had some atypical problems with some component. The fact that you're criticising everything makes it seem like you WANT to have problems with Speedplay and are just looking for issues to flag. IMO, your criticism are not valid with the exception of the cost of OEM spares which I do think are excessive.
  • ddraver
    think you need to read the rest of the thread Ai
    - @ddraver