Upgrade or buy?

thales314
thales314 Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I actually have a trek ion CX, and it's a really good bike, but I started to do more road than offroad, and to do triathlon. With slick tyres, my bike is good, but now I will graduate soon, and I was wondering if I could award me something faster to celebrate.

However, it's expensive, and I am wondering about what I should do. I usually use my bike for casual commuting, for training, triathlon competitions, and long sunday rides (Last one, the london to brighton).

- Should I buy a new bike ? (I like them compact, like my actual bike or the Giant propel I had the chance to try, light and responsive, but that also allows you to stay 4-5 hours on it and still be able to move the next day), knowing that for the moment, I am still a poor student ?

- Should I upgrade it ? A set of ksyrium, carbon handlebars, a new saddle, a new crankset, .... Could these things be interesting for me ?

Thanks for your advices ! :)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A road bike might be a bit lighter and have better brakes, but the rest of it is much the same. Carbon bars would be an expensive upgrade for little benefit. A CX frame will likely have wider rear dropout spacing than a road frame so consider that possibility before buying wheels.

If you are an impoverished student I'd leave the bike as is and just ride it. Maybe some lighter, faster road tyres?
  • thales314
    I was thinking about "cheap" bikes like the decathlon mach 740 (complete carbon, campagnolo group,...), you think it doesn't worth it ?

Also, can the tyres really make a difference? I already have small road tyres for summer (about 25€ each), bought two years ago in Belgium, If I buy new ones potentially more expensive, would I really feel a difference?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Light, grippy, flexible tyres are the cheapest way of improving a bike's ride. Since you have a CX bike I'd suggest 28mm tyres. What exactly do you have on there now?

Something like Conti GP4000 S II or Michelin Pro4 SC are widely recommended on here.

The Decathlon bike is a lot of bike for the money!
  • thales314
    My tires are CST ultra speed, if anyone has ever heard of that?

And so the decathlon is a good choice ? Or I should save for something better ?