Annoying tinging noise

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have developed an annoying tinging noise from the back end of my Cube Analog 29er hardtail. It happens when I am moving, with some occasional tinging sounds at slow speeds, but mostly when at a moderate speed. It is very random when it occurs. I can travel for a long distance and get nothing then all of a sudden it is making the noise every couple of seconds.

1. Sounds like a loud ting noise, or like stones hitting the underside of the bike
2. Happens when pedaling, and when freewheeling, so its definitely not the crank, chain, or cassette or mech (as best as I can tell)
3. All spokes are nice and tight and normal
4. It is a Shimano XT hub with WTB I-25 rim.

The bike had the rear inner tube replaced yesterday and the chain, cassette, crank, etc were checked over and cleared as ok. The mechanics couldn't replicate the sound in the workshop.

Any idea's ? I am guessing hub but could it be something else like the frame ?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Brake pad rattle or cracked frame
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    could be spoke noise, try a tiny drop of oil at all the points where spokes cross and touch.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • echowitch
    Cheers, will try those :) I did wonder if it was brake pads before. I couldn't see any cracks and the guys yesterday at SCUK would have noticed.
  • echowitch
    Spokes were seen to, there are no cracks, and the pads and rotors are fine. Its definitely coming from the back of the bike.

Could it be the hub ? The loud is much louder and more frequent when I stop pedalling and free-wheel.
  • echowitch
    Any idea's if it could be the hub ? The hub seems to run smoothly though.
  • echowitch
    A friend and I can reproduce the sound by grasping the top of the wheel and pushing it back and forth. But it only does it for a few seconds then we need to turn the wheel slightly to a new position. We are going to later on remove the wheel and lube the QR and contact points with a little grease to see if that sorts it. If not it could be the freehub.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Try a drop of oil at the spoke crossover points (as suggested by The Rookie).
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Definitely sounds like spoke noise, could be related to a reflector or a pie dish behind the cassette or even the spokes at the bend at the hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Best guess is either the spring that retains the barke pads catching a rotor (this can be quite loud) or internal cable rattles.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    In my experience, sometimes you need to oil spokes multiple times if they are being a bit noisy.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Get it on my wheels, the wheels are even and tight and all but they still ping. little oil on the crosses shuts them up as said above :)
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    Get it on my wheels, the wheels are even and tight and all but they still ping. little oil on the crosses shuts them up as said above :)

And nipples :lol: