Broken Spoke (HOLE?) Problem.

Siulman
Siulman Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, i have an odd situation on my hands about a broken spoke (hole?). This is the very first time i attempt at fixing a bike wheel and so when i realized the wheel was not true i tried tightening it and realized it stuck out above the nipple. After this i removed the spoke to get a better look at the problem and i realized that the hole where the spoke first enters is a little broken. By that i mean that the hole has a little indentation on the side and it is slightly bigger which allows the end of the spoke to come out more than it has to. Not sure if i am explaining myself correctly... Anyone ever encountered anything like this?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yep, new rim or new wheel time by the sounds of it.

A photo would speak a thousand words.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    maybe a small washer on the inside of the rim at the spoke hole will fix the issue?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, really bad idea.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like the spoke nipple has been over-tightened -if the hole in the rim is cracked or deformed then it's new rim time.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..