Childhood books

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited June 2015 in The cake stop
Coming from idle chatter, favourite books from your childhood or from reading to your children (given the age of some)

Funny Bones was a great one, fond memories of Puddle Lane series too as they were what my parents used to teach me read.

Now this list could be pretty long for all of us I am sure so try and limit it to a few for each post!
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    My parents read the Enid Blyton stuff to me as a kid, I can't say I have fond memories of those, they were crap.

Onward a generation. I read the Thomas the Tank Engine books to my two, which they loved. We were all disgusted to see the new animated versions of the stories, where the engines get up on their back wheels and 'walk around', jeez.

Later on, it was The Hobbit.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's an awful lot of Weirdoes in our neighbourhood (silly poetry book)

Learned to read on the Biff and Chip books. Funnybones was great.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I saw this in a bookshop:
    71oq1M03wxL.jpg
    It's all about a mole that goes around trying to find who had shat on his head. Unfortunately my kids were too old for it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    71oq1M03wxL.jpg
    It's all about a mole that goes around trying to find who had shat on his head. Unfortunately my kids were too old for it.
    The title makes it look like it's a kid's book about a mod :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Dr Suess, which I read often to my little one's. I loved Winnie the Pooh and always remember Mum readin the story about the Heffalunmps, the North Pole and getting stuck in the hole at Kanga's house 'cos he ate too much Hunny and having to be pulled out by all and sundry. It narks me to that WTP has been bastardised by Hollywood and is copied in so many forms ad nauseum.
    As a teenager;
    The Canyon - Jack Schaefer.
    Charlotte's web.
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
    The Old man of the sea.
    Emil and the Detectives.
    Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell. Great read even as an adult revisited: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Desperate-Voyage-John-Caldwell/dp/0924486201
    The Wrong Train - B Schmidt-Eller, all about the exodus of people at the end of the 2nd world war about 2 kids that got split up from their parent and the follow up - 'The Refugees.

To name a few that stand out in my memory.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Flâneur
    A a Milne is still a bedside must for me. Story to bring a smile.
    I do have fond memories of my father reading the hobbit and LOTR to me when I was like 4, prob the reason I spent most of years addicted to fantasy books.

Afraid of the dark little bear was good, and newer book, when I've had to baby sit I like the gruffalo
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Flâneur
    I've never read charlottes web, I should probably see to this.

I also dislike the idea that Thomas et al can now walk around, back to find the Hungary catapiller
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Depending on how far you think childhood extends, Club International and Razzle were pretty memorable reads for me. Not technically books, but they could have passed for hardbacks in the end :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Alistair Stevo Campbell steps in to lower the tone...
  • Stevo_666
    Alistair Stevo Campbell steps in to lower the tone...
    Did you expect me raise it? :shock: This is the BB and Sa0 15w/30 has had the cheek to post a semi serious thread in here. Shame on him.
  • Flâneur
    Though a wise member of the forum suggested I request this be moved up the forum leagues, I originally posted it in here expecting it to degenerate and preempted the moved.

Should a mod feel like moving this upwards go for it, it is a wise suggestion but I am not overly fussed.

Have you read fairy tales? they are grim and not for children.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    I am trying in vain to remember a story about a little boy who goes to bed and a monster takes him away to a party. Anyone know?
  • Under ten: Moonfleet, Jennings, Biggles, Just William, Rupert, Alice, Mother Goose, Little Gnome Pipkin, The Secret Garden, Lost Horizon,
    Later: The Magus. Lord of the Rings was riveting the first time, but impossible to read a second. Anything By John Wyndham. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I am trying in vain to remember a story about a little boy who goes to bed and a monster takes him away to a party. Anyone know?

Different gender but McCann?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    71oq1M03wxL.jpg

Fortunately my children were the right age, so we bought that. Hilarious book. I loved The Gruffalo ones too, I used to read it in a different regional accent for each character.

As a 3/4 year old I used to have "Drummer Hoff" read to me constantly. I think we had it booked out of mobile library for about 6 months.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Learned to read with the (then contemporary) Janet and John books.

First book I remember reading as a kid (about 8 or 9) when I "got" reading for pleasure rather than it being a school-based chore was The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Read it again about 5 years ago . . . still a great book.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Joey and the Helicopter was my favourite.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Moved by request, nothing to do with football.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    No mention for Roald Dahl? Philistines!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Not only no mention of Roald Dahl but also no mention of the fantastic Asterix the Gaul books either!!
  • pinno
    No mention for Roald Dahl? Philistines!

Not so far but he wrote so many.

Edward Laer's nonsense poems - The Dong with the luminous nose, The Owl and the Pussycat.

David Attenborough meets Obama - on one. Must dash.