11 speed chainset with 10 speed groupset

Barrington12
Barrington12 Posts: 358
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi, just wondering if this works okay, if anyone has done this? I have a full Ultegra 10 speed groupset and I am thinking of fitting an Ultegra 11 speed chainset, will it work okay?

Comments

• scottishgeek
    scottishgeek Posts: 143
    On the presumption that you have a fully working 10 speed Ultegra and plan to replace shifters, chain and cassette I suspect your main issue is going to be 'can the hub on your rear wheel take an 11 speed cassette'.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    If you are only changing the chainset it will work fine. I have done the very same, swapped out a 105 10speed chainset and replaced with a 5800 11 speed chainset and not had any issues.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    9/10/11 speed shimano chainsets all interchangeable
  • Barrington12
    On the presumption that you have a fully working 10 speed Ultegra and plan to replace shifters, chain and cassette I suspect your main issue is going to be 'can the hub on your rear wheel take an 11 speed cassette'.

Incorrect presumption unfortunately! My plan is simply to keep running the 10 speed set up but to replace the current chainset with an Ultegra 6800 chainset which is supposedly 11 speed specific. Was just wondering if anyone has done this previously and if they had encountered any problems?
  • Barrington12
    If you are only changing the chainset it will work fine. I have done the very same, swapped out a 105 10speed chainset and replaced with a 5800 11 speed chainset and not had any issues.

Thanks, that's the info I was after.
  • Barrington12
    9/10/11 speed shimano chainsets all interchangeable

Thanks. I assumed this but wasn't sure. So what is the difference, ie, why would the new 6800 chainset be labelled as 11 speed specific? Guessing the width of the rings is slighter less than older versions sold as 9 or 10 speed? I wondered if there would be enough of a difference to affect shifting on the front rings? Or excess noise due to a 10 speed chain on an 11 speed chainring?