Am I too big for my bike

niladx1
niladx1 Posts: 6
edited June 2015 in MTB general
Hey I've been concerned about been too big for my bike I am 5,9 and my bike is a M Giant Reign 27.5 2

(I have only been riding my Giant reign since Christmas as that was when I got it)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Medium sounds about right, but only you know if you are too big.

Not having a crystal ball etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im 6'1" and test rode a medium Reign because a large wasn't available. It was only marginally too small for me, should be spot on for you unless you have freakish proportions.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Medium sounds right. But if your 5'9" is in some weird proportions - long legs or body or arms or whatever maybe you are on the upper end of the scale. Why do you think you are too big for it?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • It could be the bike is too small
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm 5'9" and ride medium Giants (hardtails), off road that size is spot on for me, on road (rough roads) I use a large for a more stretched out position.

A quick check suggests the bike has an inline seat post, so you could fit one with a setback to see if that helps (increased cockpit length is the same as going up a size, 20mm - or you could just try sliding the saddle back on the rails).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ian78
    Ian78 Posts: 24
    About 5' 10" and have always ridden an 18" frame, that's classed as medium.
  • rockmonkeysc
    About 5' 10" and have always ridden an 18" frame, that's classed as medium.

Mines also 18" and that's large.
  • Ian78
    17'" > 18" = M
    19" > 20" = L
  • rockmonkeysc
    17'" > 18" = M
    19" > 20" = L

Not any more. Seat tubes have got shorter and top tubes have got longer. Most large trail bikes have around an 18" seat tube, dropper posts have changed things.
  • Ian78
    Well, in that case, if it has changed then you would be right.
    Newest bike I have is 13 years old. :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Take a look at modern trail bikes. Seat tube length has become irrelevant. They have shorter seat tubes to allow the extra length of a dropper post although for riders with long legs it can cause problems.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It has been irrelevant for quite a long while, my 1985 custom built MTB has a 14" frame and I have the saddle set at 34" from bottom pedal.

One would have thought that this way of measuring an MTB would have died after 30 years of discussing it, but it still endures.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"