Suitable replacement chain

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited July 2015 in The workshop
What options do I have for replacement chain for Genesis Day One Disc? The one supplied is KMC X1. That chain is £25. What other, more affordable chains are suitable?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any 7/8/9/10 speed chain you like.

This proliferation of silly threads rather than asking for advice on whole bikes is tiring!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • father_jack
    If it bothers you don't post. Also I'd rather stick to chain designed for it's use. I've found KMC Z610 which is about £10
  • The Rookie
    What does designed for use mean? I know dozens of people using 7 speed chains for single speed, no issues, while KMC may have made some subtle changes, there is nothing that says they are actually any better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • father_jack
    Single speed chains don't have to be flexible left/right.
  • The Rookie
    But if a chain is, what is the downside? (and they aren't that flexible anyway!)
  • father_jack
    bloody imperial sizes..

In metric:

1/8" = 3.17mm

and

3/32" = 2.38mm

So I want 1/8" right that makes it easier, why don't they move over to metric? :roll:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Because a base 12 system is really convenient for gearing calculations.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    No, you want a 3/32 one to match the chainrings, if you buy that bike (or any bike!)
  • father_jack
    I already have three bikes.

Those SS bikes have 1/8" sprokect, 3/32 chain, 3/32 chainring. Which works, however why didn't they spec it to 1/8" chain and chainring?
  • The Rookie
    How does a 3/32 chain fit on a 1/8 (4/32) width sprocket? It can't.

So if it has a 3/32 chain it isnt a 1/8 sprocket!
  • father_jack
    The bikes are Genesis Day One Disc

Correction

Driveline CS 46T Single w/ Chainguard
    KMC X1
    3/32" x 18T Sprocket & Lockring

So 3/32 transmission. Not sure where I got 1/8" sprocket from.

Actually I wouldn't mind building it up myself, if 1/8" drop SS bikes aren't available may be best custom build. Only thing I haven't done before is headset fitting, installing fork star nut, and cutting fork down to size.
  • The Rookie
    Those three jobs are all easy if done with care, the special tools are nice to have but I've never used them...

I use a stem and a scrap spacer as a saw guide for cutting the steerer

Insert a bolt into the star fangled nut to hammer it in, use an old top cap as a guide to make sure its in square.

Headsets I fit with a hammer and block of wood, or some M10 threaded bar and penny washers as a clamp if I feel like it.