Ride Report - Etape Eryri 2015

prys
prys Posts: 3
I thought I'd post a shout of appreciation to the organisers and volunteers of the Etape Eryri which took place on Sunday. This was one of the most well organised sportives I've ridden and the atmosphere amongst the riders was fantastic.
I completed the 'Mawr' course at 103 miles, and this took in a big swathe of Snowdonia, including the coastal Menai straits, picturesque villages like Beddgelert, Llanrwst and Betws Y Coed, along with climbs up to the austere, exposed landscape over Ffestiniog and past the drama of the Snowdon horse shoe. Despite the odd spot of rain, the weather was very kind and the views opened up spectacularly to reward the climbing (and the brutal headwind after Capel Curig!).
Plentiful and well-stocked feed stops (including cheese rolls and bara brith – perfection!!) and a great atmosphere amongst riders – I saw very little nonsense – rounded it all off.
The only downer was the rider who had an extremely serious accident on the descent to Rhyd Ddu – thoughts and best wishes to him. Anyone have any update on his progress?
My Garmin clocked 2403 metres of climbing, which is a fair day’s work in my opinion, but I reserve ultimate respect for those that completed the 226-mile Xtrem course - the best times averaging around 16mph!!!