Single speed and disc brakes

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited June 2015 in The workshop
Is it generally a bad idea for these? Because you need to move the wheel along the track end and as you do so to get proper chain tension that means rotor will not be in ideal position in the caliper? (and even 0.5mm out in angle means pad rub)

I want disc brakes for winter use, but I already have disc brakes so know just how tight the pads have to be to rotor, since the wheel drops in it's always straight but with horizontol drop outs it could be off center, or too far in/out.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• First fo all its a cost and market thing.The bike with disc brakes for improved stopping power and all-weather reliability. If you value easy, speedy rides on your bike and you live in an area with varied topography, a multi-gear bike is probably your best bet.
  • father_jack
    I'm talking more about the rear, ie getting it aligned between rotor. I could see that as a difficult thing to do.

Ideally I think want front disc, with rim brake rear.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is not an issue. been done for years on MTBs, either the braket moves with the axel or the adaptor has slots to allow correct positioning.

much better than rim brakes.

but again it all depends on what you are starting with.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • father_jack
    It's a Genesis Day One Disc. does that model have moving bracket/slot?
  • SlipSpace
    SlipSpace Posts: 46
    It's a Genesis Day One Disc. does that model have moving bracket/slot?

Yes, second picture.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urban/urban-cross/day-one-disc

day-one-disc