Tubeless sealant globule... Huh?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited June 2015 in Workshop
So I (prematurely as it turned out) thought I would try and replenish the sealant (4 months' use and I was just curious to do it anyway) and ended up having my tyres (Hutchinson 23mm) off and replacing with my preferred Schwalbe Ones (25mm). Inside the Hutchinsons I found this...

latex.jpg

...basically a solid glob of latex (CO2 pump thing for scale!), Anything to worry about? Does this indicate anything? Thought I'd spun them up good and proper after filling them first time. The bike did stand for a couple of weeks when it was pretty wet outside but generally been getting used very frequently (3+ times a week).

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    CO2 and sealant are not a good pair... it freezes it and breaks the emulsion... once you have the sealant in, just use a pump
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    Never said I used CO2, that was just to hand for scale. I used the track pump...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Never said I used CO2, that was just to hand for scale. I used the track pump...

Small lumps up to 5 mm are normal, big lumps are less normal... if you still had liquid in the tyre then nothing to worry about. 4 months is about the right time to replace it anyway
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    Great thanks. I thought I would have to resort to CO2 to be honest but I've been fortunate that they've gone up with my track pump. Had to re-seat one of them to get it to go up but got there in the end. The Ones were a damned sight easier to get on than the Hutchinsons but neither were easy onto these SL23 rims. Once they're on they give every impression of staying on though!!
  • munkster
    OK, so next worry is that now I have switched tyres for some reason there is sealant seeping very gradually out of the valve hole (between rim and gnurled ring) which it wasn't doing before.

Possible explanation is that I found that when I was tightening up the removable core after filling with sealant I was starting to unscrew the entire valve (ie. the core was tightened up but I hadn't realised). I have done it back up about as tight as it will go and the tyre is holding a decent pressure (no perceptible change in 48 hours) so I am wondering whether a little sealant has got inside into the rim well when I made my valve error and is now seeping out wherever it can (there seemed to be a little coming out at a nipple too). Is the valve the prime culprit for gradual tubeless air leakage would we say?