Which chain?

Jpallen71
Jpallen71 Posts: 14
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,
This may well be something that has been discussed before and I apologise in advance for that but.........
Which brand of chain do you think preforms the best?
Based on what chain with which cassette etc?

thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    KMC chain. Any cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any Shimano cassette, much better than SRAM.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Wipperman are brilliant tough longlasting chains but they they take a while to bed in and become quiet when changing gear.

Shimano XT cassette my current one seems to be everlasting.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    +1 Wippermann Connex
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I too am in the market for a new 9 speed chain as the indicator says it's worn, the choices are bewildering, don't mind spending up to around £20 but there's multiple models from each major manufacturer in this price range.

The current chain is kmc, presumably a cheap generic OE model so figured I'd get a kmc but a better model... Every time I look I just get confused.

Product descriptions don't often say much other than weight, which seems fairly negligible, and is it worth going lighter perhaps at the detriment of strength? And vague statements like smoother shifting, smoother than what, there seems to be no real info, is it just a case of buying the most impressive sounding chain in your budget and hoping for the best?

Fir example, does this look like a good buy?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-x9-93-9-speed-chain/rp-prod12756
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lighter isnt at the detriment of strength, the weak points (the joins) are unaffected.

Different chains mean different coatings and weight reduction, KMC also do the single speed specific chain (whatever that means in reality!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Thanks, bought the above chain in the end, seems to get good reviews and not too pricey.
    Was half tempted to go for hollow pin chain but they cost a fair whack, and I figured the hollow pins would get clogged with oil and muck anyway, negating any slight weight saving, and I'm far too lazy to sit there with a tooth pick poking all the muck out all the time!