All-Rounder Advice

GarethJD
GarethJD Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Having only ever been a casual cyclist in the past, I'm very much looking forward to taking up the hobby more seriously. Having left the army a couple of years ago, I'm becoming much more acutely aware of just how quickly one can lose their fitness if they don't keep something up to combat the rot!

Given that I'm married with limited storage, however, I'm in a bit of a quandry. In an ideal world, I'd want a dedicated road bike for endurance / sportives and generally to hit the tarmac with the local cycling club. However, given I'm likely to only be allowed the one machine it's ideally going to have to do more than that.

I have two dogs that I like to take around the occasional dirt trail / gravel path around a lake / canal path etc. I'd like to be able to complete a 50 or 80 mile trek (occasionally) without falling behind on every hill. My wife does cycle with me occasionally, but using a flat handlebar hybrid and mostly on dirt / gravel paths (preferring not to compete with traffic). I've done far worse things in the rain than cycle, so I intend to use the bike the whole year round.

I guess I'm just looking for a slight nudge in the right direction. Budget wise I'll probably look around the £1000 mark, tell the wife it's cost me £500 and spend £1500. (Though realistically, I'd pefer to keep it under the £1k mark.)

Comments