Sagan 2015

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
edited June 2015 in Pro race
Seen him in the spring classics... tired, spent, slow, disappointing... in simple words out of form.

Then he goes for some "altitude training" in the US and wins the GC of the Tour of California, race normally won by stage riders... then he wins again (twice) in Switzerland...

So, what's happening with Sagan? :?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    He was there or there abouts in the spring. He's had threats from Oleg re his contract (inappropriately in public) won a one weeker and I'd still put money on him kicking everyone's head in for the green jersey in the Tour.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Can't win in races with the the first string but can when it's only the second string...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    He looked overweight at the start of the year. Now he looks powerful.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    He was there or there abouts in the spring. He's had threats from Oleg re his contract (inappropriately in public) won a one weeker and I'd still put money on him kicking everyone's head in for the green jersey in the Tour.

Kristoff is also going for Green.
  • ugo.santalucia
    OK, so nobody is suspicious of those "US altitude training camps", just me then... :roll:
  • ddraver
    Joel's right there with you trust me

Personally? No...certainly not until he starts dominating the genuine best (e.g. Kristoff)
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Kristoff is also going for Green.

I think I'd still back Sagan
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ugo.santalucia

Personally? No...certainly not until he starts dominating the genuine best (e.g. Kristoff)

Kristoff? Mmhhh, is he the Norwegian guy the size of a Danish who excels on the bergs, innit? :roll:

I mean this Danish
    Danish-Hound-01.jpg

I don't know what to think... this spring has been very strange in my view... it seems this new crop of sprinters are now dominating races they should not be dominating... no wonder genuine and honest sprinters like Cavendish are left behind... something is changing and not in a good way...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    OK, so nobody is suspicious of those "US altitude training camps", just me then... :roll:
    No. Stage races are won and lost at altitude so why wouldn't you train at altitude? It would be like training for Wimbledon without playing on a grass court. Altitude is a genuine benefit.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

Kristoff? Mmhhh, is he the Norwegian guy the size of a Danish who excels on the bergs, innit? :roll:

I mean this Danish
    Danish-Hound-01.jpg

I don't know what to think... this spring has been very strange in my view... it seems this new crop of sprinters are now dominating races they should not be dominating... no wonder genuine and honest sprinters like Cavendish are left behind... something is changing and not in a good way...

Couldn't agree more Ugo.
  • ddraver

I mean this Danish
    Danish-Hound-01.jpg

Your getting "big" cyclists confused with actual real size humans again! Remember he only looks big next to riders like Cav who look like children when you see them around normal people... ;)

Kristoff is a neo-Boonen type rider. He won't be challenging the proper sprinters.
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    ... it seems this new crop of sprinters are now dominating races they should not be dominating... no wonder genuine and honest sprinters like Cavendish are left behind... something is changing and not in a good way...
    Cavendish has won about 13 races this season. He's hardly being left behind.
    And who are these new crop of sprinters? Kristoff and Degenkolb have always been seen as more one day riders than bunch sprinters
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    No. Stage races are won and lost at altitude so why wouldn't you train at altitude? It would be like training for Wimbledon without playing on a grass court. Altitude is a genuine benefit.

Of course... but training at altitude has been used for many years as a smoke screen... meaning "I have been away where nobody can find me to do things people better not see"... and if I come back a better rider, that's the altitude for you...

I just have the feeling things were going in the right direction, but lately they have steered away again... just noticed the second in the GC at the Tour of California was Alaphilippe... of course, why not the spring sensation too... :twisted:
  • ugo.santalucia
    He won't be challenging the proper sprinters.

How about those wins at the TdF then?
  • ddraver
    The ones after hills when Kittel couldnt be arsed you mean? very definitive. Definite proof of doping that is wow
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    The ones after hills when Kittel couldnt be arsed you mean? very definitive. Definite proof of doping that is wow

I never used the word doping... you can't use the word doping, it's defamation... :wink:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    My theory.

he's in form. he won't win sprints against the "elite" sprinters as he's not quick enough. he's lost weight. he's trained at altitude, and is better over the climbs than before. His TT-ing is slightly better.

he's peaking. Early season he was slightly off the pace, now he's on good form.

Thing is over the last few years he's been worked like a dog, really over raced and trained. I don't know what you expect to be honest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    My theory.

he's in form. he won't win sprints against the "elite" sprinters as he's not quick enough. he's lost weight. he's trained at altitude, and is better over the climbs than before. His TT-ing is slightly better.

he's peaking. Early season he was slightly off the pace, now he's on good form.

Thing is over the last few years he's been worked like a dog, really over raced and trained. I don't know what you expect to be honest.

My theory: Tinkoff is now in practice a team of the former USSR block, like Katusha and Astana.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    is it possible to block someone just on a particular forum but not the rest?

for example, Ugo's posts on the pro race forum are incredibly irritating, but it useful to know what spokey dokeys to buy for my wheels so I like to read his contributions on the buying advice and workshop threads
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Think I read or heard (poss on The Cycling Podcast) that Tinkoff Saxo had changed the training program for all, much to the annoyance of riders (Basso for one IIRC) which had affected their early season form. This has been corrected now and riders seem happier and form is therefore returning.
  • ugo.santalucia
    is it possible to block someone just on a particular forum but not the rest?

for example, Ugo's posts on the pro race forum are incredibly irritating, but it useful to know what spokey dokeys to buy for my wheels so I like to read his contributions on the buying advice and workshop threads

If I was a site developer moderator I would implement something along those lines... but it's not currently available.
    I thought in the "dead season" between relevant races it was all about conspiracy theories... apologies if I got it wrong... :lol:
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited June 2015
    Deleted.

I never saw a thing :?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    HGH ?

He looks massive at the moment. Just a thought that crossed my mind last week. Have seen chaps at the gym 'evolve' in the same way.

You might want to read this

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12611535
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I'd favour the boot up the ass from Oleg theory.

If a slightly unhinged Russian starts making threats I would up my game. It worked for Oleg when he did it with Alberto so why not Sagan?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    This altitude training probably never amounted to too much. Anyone know where he went? If he was over in the States after the Spring classics because he had no races between them and the ToC it seems quite sensible. Especially when you/your team are paid to ride a bike by an American brand.

If he went to Boulder then the altitude training is no big secret or anything special as it seems most US based pro cyclists live or base themselves there. Altitude training doesn't need to be in some remote secret squirrel place that is difficult to get to!

Sagan wouldn't have won the ToC without time bonuses and the shortened TT. There was only really one summit finish to make a big difference -Sagan lost 47 seconds and had he not already been in the lead would most likely not have turned himself inside out on the climb.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    IMO, I think Sagan can be his own worst enemy, he needs to have confidence in his team a bit more instead of "freelancing" so much. He's a marked man and has been for a while, previously riders would end up taking him to the finish and then he'd out sprint them. Riders are wise to this now, it doesn't happen, therefore he doesn't win. He need's to evaluate his tactics and come up with something new.