Upgrade - DiamondBack Outback DD '11

PepePopi
PepePopi Posts: 4
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum and I just want to thank you guys all the information and advise I've found so far but I decided to create this new topic since I need some more specific advise in how to upgrade my bike.

I bought a while ago a second hand DiamondBack Outback DD '11 and I just want to upgrade it components 'cause now I'm more in mtb and I had to repair it and adjust many times. (p.e the rear bearings and crank bearings)

My question is, as this bike is 2011 and the components aren't really fancy, I'd like to know the best option to improve the performance with compatible upgrades. If it's possible to go for an entire groupset and wheelset it would be perfect :)

Thanks!!!!

Here are the bike specs:
Wheel Size: 26
Frame: Alloy hydroformed frame
Fork: 26" suspension fork
No. of Gears: 21
Gear Shifters: EZ Fire
Front Derailleur: TZ-Series, 31.8mm for 42T
Rear Derailleur: TX31 6/7 Speed Direct attachment type
Chainset: Front chainwheel 170mm 42 x 34 x 24T
Brakes - Type: Mechanical Disc
Brakes - Details: Black with Promax Logo Rotor- DT160A
Brakes - Levers: Alloy 3 finger tyoe (With EZ fire)
Rims: SB rim decals
Tyres: 26 x 2.35 with MTB pattern
Spokes: Standard pattern
Front Hub: Alloy 14G x 3/8" x 36H x 108 x 100mm W/QR For disc brake
Rear Hub: Alloy 14G x 3/8" x 36H x 108 x 100mm W/QR For disc brake
Stem: Alloy a-head type, 10 degree upswept. Inc. black bolts with Outlander logo.
Saddle: Standard
Handlebar: Alloy low rise (6 degree bend) with logos
Head Set: A-head type oversize alloy toe cap
Bottom Bracket: Cartridge type
Pedals: 9/16" alloy BMX platforms with BS reflectors

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New bike, to be honest to do anything will mean big expense, for example just to go 8 speed will mean a new rear wheel, cassette, possibly deraileur as well as shifter, the no name fork is probably very poor quality as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PepePopi
    Yeah, I know... A new bike is the best way to go. But I want to give it a try, it's my chance to really learn how to repair and build a bike. I'll get the components from ebay or similar.
    The problem is I don't know if the new components will fit (I can see there are different crank fittings and other options) Do I need to be careful with that matter or they just will fit anyway?

Many thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Things won't 'just fit' no, so on each item you want to look at post up a thread with details for the correct response.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PepePopi
    Sure, thanks!
  • Upgrading all the components on that frame would be like putting a Ferrari engine in a Lada.

Get a decent bike that needs work if you really want to learn the mechanics, or just build a bike from secondhand parts.