Rockshox Pike or Fox 36

Buns_of_Steel
Buns_of_Steel Posts: 20
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Simple question but not so simple decision.

I'm in the market for some new forks for my 2014 Scott Genius 720

I like the look of the Fox 36 Float however i've heard the new 34 is also getting some good reviews. There seems to be universal praise for the Pike.

I live on the south coast so theres very little in the way of hard terrain. I mainly ride some good bridle way stuff on the south downs way or QECP & Swinley. I'm looking to start getting some weekends in at Bike Park Wales and possibly abroad. So while my day to day riding isnt so heavy i want some forks that will be more than capable of a good thrashing when required.

Any opinion will be much appreciated. Also i'm open to any recommendations of other forks.

Cheers

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have Pike's and I think they are great. My day to day riding is....a little more gnarly than the south coast of england and my Pike's deal with everything I throw at them.

For me the question is - do you want to spend a sh*t load more on Fox's that may be better than Pikes but could be the pile of dog crap that the old Fox 34's were. To be honest why not go with Revelations - lighter, decently stiff for most UK riding amd if you go with the high end ones very adjustable without a ridiculaous Fox price tag.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've got 36's and they are great, expensive market and probably a little overkill though. Pikes are very good and great value, but Fox have really turned a corner in the last year and their Forks are now utterly superb, right back on top of the pile IMO. The new 2016 34's are incredible. Lighter than a pike, better than a Pike and although a little bit more cash, they are extremely good. I'd have a pair if my 36's weren't so new!
  • Cheers guys, i appreciate this is probably a question that comes up more often that not.

I hear you Paul and without blowing my own trumpet price isn't really an issue so i'm happy to spend the cash and treat my self to something a bit special.

Have you had hands on experience with the 2016 34's lawman? I have to say the more i look at the 34's the better option they seem to be.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Had a quick blast on a pair of the 2016 34's and they did feel very good, not quite as uber stiff as my 34's but significantly lighter and should be easier to tune to taste than 36's, which can be a bit baffling if you're not clued up on what each dial does and know what you want from a fork. The 2016 34 is everything I wish my old 32's were, plush, stiff, stable under braking and very light weight. My 36's are only 4 months old, but I'd be tempted by 34's over them tbh as the 36 is a lot of fork for a lot of people.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For the riding you describe and for your bike I would suggest that a Rockshox Revelation may be more appropriate. It will be more than stiff enough for your riding and lighter than either the Pike or Fox 36. Go for one of the high end, mote adjustable models.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    mattoc or pike. 34's are an unknown quality and 36's are pretty expensive.