Upgrading Felt Z100 Bike Parts - Chainset & Cassette

Tony20VTurbo
Tony20VTurbo Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in Workshop
So I have upgraded a few parts on my bike already, like carbon clip in pedals etc.

I have done a few miles on it and the chainset is starting to creak and is feeling worn, so I am looking to upgrade it. Any suggestions? I was wanting to stick with Shimano. Potentially a chainset, cassette and chain combo if my budget can stretch that far.

Spec of the chainset is the following:

Speed 16
Brake Levers/Shifters Shimano Claris
Chainset

Felt, compact 50x34

51cm - 170mm
54cm - 172.5mm
56cm - 172.5mm
58cm - 175mm
61cm - 175mm

Bottom Bracket Square tapered
Front Derailleur Shimano Claris
Rear Derailleur Shimano Claris
Brake Calipers Shimano
Chain Sunrace 8 speed
Cassette Sunrace 11-32
Speed is nothing without control

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Be honest. Why are you wanting to replace stuff? What does a worn chainset feel like??

Do you know roughly what mileage the bike's done since new? A chainset is unlikely to be worn in under 20,000 miles unless you ride along the beach and never oil your chain.

Creaking from the crank area is often the bottom bracket. Yours is a square taper cartridge type, and unless very cheap, these have a reputation for lasting a long time. If you need a new one even a decent Shimano UN55 is only £10-12.

It is more usual to replace the chain when it becomes slightly worn, in order to protect the cassette and chainrings from undue wear. You have 8 speed components which are pretty robust. I'd expect to get about 2000 miles from a chain, and 3-4 chains before changing the cassette. Chainrings last for years unless you're doing massive distances.

If on the other hand you want to buy some blingier components for your bike, go ahead!