Wiggins interview- Bahamontes

2»

Comments

• Mccrear
    Mccrear Posts: 256
    fantastic work DG, really enjoyed this.

I struggle with BW as i think he is probably like 99% of us in that he truly loves the sport... but has at times fallen out of love with it, given the intrusion caused. I just wish the 2 post tour years had been handled better by him and Sky. if they had come out and said he was never going to do tour again, and concentrated elsewhere (not the token appearance at giro) then they could have cemented his rep. Instead 2013/14 made him come across as egotistical sod and a bit of a k##b.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,606
    Wiggins just announced to ride round one of Revolution Series in Derby. Tickets available right now. Be quick!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Thanks for this - I always enjoy interviews that sprawl out a little bit, rather than being obsessively about the latest race or target.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's a shame that our culture caused him to mainly hide this infectious enthusiasm for the sport.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    It's a shame that our culture caused him to mainly hide this infectious enthusiasm for the sport.

Every silver lining has a cloud doesn't it Maca.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

This issue also has Moser talking grapes and Longo talking Goats. And a feature about people who are also called Eddy Merckx. :?

Thanks for the article. Merckx does seem to be a good guy by all accounts. He helped Ocaña out when his wine business was suffering.

A friend rode the ueber steep "Chantemerle" pass near Grenoble the other day. I said "oh you might see Jeannie on it", only I've not seen her on her bike for ages. I don't know if she even still rides. A friend spoke to her at a concert last year (she's a pianist) and only has good things to say about her but she's a persona non-gratia in French cycling now.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    And a feature about people who are also called Eddy Merckx. :?
    Presumably including Belgium's former World Champion Billiards player
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    And a feature about people who are also called Eddy Merckx. :?
    Presumably including Belgium's former World Champion Billiards player

Give that man a coconut!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat

This issue also has Moser talking grapes and Longo talking Goats. And a feature about people who are also called Eddy Merckx. :?

Thanks for the article. Merckx does seem to be a good guy by all accounts. He helped Ocaña out when his wine business was suffering.

A friend rode the ueber steep "Chantemerle" pass near Grenoble the other day. I said "oh you might see Jeannie on it", only I've not seen her on her bike for ages. I don't know if she even still rides. A friend spoke to her at a concert last year (she's a pianist) and only has good things to say about her but she's a persona non-gratia in French cycling now.

There's an Eddy quote on each of the articles, he was amazed that Longo had the motivation to go as long as she had and remain competitive for so long. I haven't read that one yet, I'm giving myself a wee rest after spending about 8 hours in total translating that Wiggins interview.

My wife laughed when I showed her what I'd done, she'd have invoiced about €150 for that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    And a feature about people who are also called Eddy Merckx.
    That sounds like a Martin Parr photo book.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Dropped

archives-le-dl.jpg

56 years young and Jeannie Longo is still racing. Today she finished 13th in the French national women's time trial championships. At the margins of the race the Iseroise spoke to RTL radio.

Ex-contestant in the reality TV show Dropped she talked for the first time about the traumatic experience. "I had a Spring that was a bit difficult, I took some time to get over it, I was badly affected. It's true we were very close to death and it is not something you get over easily" (two helicopters carrying other participants collided on take off killing, amongst others, olympic swimming champion Camille Muffat, sailor Florence Arthaud and boxer Alexis Vastine - Longo was on the ground at the time of the accident).

Talking about sport, Longo doesn't mince her words when it comes to the competition and her young competitors. She had hard words for Pauline Ferrand-Prévot, multi world champion who stated that Longo "puts herself first before thinking of others". Longo replies "she's a child, I think she was influenced by others... she has trouble judging me, especially as she doesn't know me".

Longo is aware that her prescence still in bike racing disturbs people "I think there are a certain number of people who don't want to see me, that is the French Cycling Federation, who say to themselves 'what is she doing here again?"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Really enjoyed that DG. It's always good to see an interview with a sportsman that brings out the human side, both good and bad. I know many don't like Wiggins but I do find his frankness to be a breath of fresh air. As someone else said though, it would have been nice had he been honest about his post 2012 plans rather than talking about the Giro - Tour double etc.. He lost a year where he could have gone all out for that Classic win that is missing from his palmares.

The talk of Ghent is making me think about going along, I'm owed a few lads weekends and had been thinking of the Ronde or P-R next year but a 6 day could be fun!
  • disgruntledgoat
    Word was he wanted to do it last year, but Sky wouldn't wear it.

If you do the weekend, you can combine with the world cup Cyclocross at Koksijde on the Sunday. The railway to a ticket that will get you there and back and entry for about 25 euro dollars

@gietvangent
  • Launch of the 6 day is tomorrow, with the riders announced too. Organiser says they're 99.9% sure Wiggins won't be there but discussions are ongoing and that they also haven't finalised Cavendish.

From this I take it both are riding. Why bother trailing it like that, otherwise? or continuing discussions the day before you announce your lineup?

Anyway, I'm there Friday and Saturday. Confirmed riders are Iljo Keisse, Kenny De Ketele, Jasper De Buyst, Moreno De Pauw, Gijs Van Hoecke and Otto Vergaerde

@gietvangent
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Launch of the 6 day is tomorrow, with the riders announced too. Organiser says they're 99.9% sure Wiggins won't be there but discussions are ongoing and that they also haven't finalised Cavendish.

From this I take it both are riding. Why bother trailing it like that, otherwise? or continuing discussions the day before you announce your lineup?

Anyway, I'm there Friday and Saturday. Confirmed riders are Iljo Keisse, Kenny De Ketele, Jasper De Buyst, Moreno De Pauw, Gijs Van Hoecke and Otto Vergaerde

I'd doubt Cavendish will ride after shoulder surgery, Madison can't be the best rehab for that!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    What exactly is there to discuss?
  • What exactly is there to discuss?

His large pile of cash, who he will ride with, who will sponsor the pair and therefore who will pony up a portion of his large pile of cash.

Keisse and Cav cost QS €15,000 to be able to use their team kit last year.

Edit: There's probably some sporting considerations as well, blah blah.

@gietvangent

His large pile of cash, who he will ride with, who will sponsor the pair and therefore who will pony up a portion of his large pile of cash.

Who he'd ride with is a critical thing for BW. It'd be Cav or Keisse on the BW wish list (but Lefevere would probably nix the Keisse idea).

Who he'd ride with is a critical thing for BW. It'd be Cav or Keisse on the BW wish list (but Lefevere would probably nix the Keisse idea).

Lefevre probably won't want him with Cav either now... word was Cav paid the 15k himself last year as pat was unwilling. .

Chat round here was that Wiggins and Keisse was Sercus dream

@gietvangent

Lefevre probably won't want him with Cav either now... word was Cav paid the 15k himself last year as pat was unwilling. .

Chat round here was that Wiggins and Keisse was Sercus dream

Lefevere wouldnt before - as you say - but I cant for the life of me see him stopping Cav IF Cav were fit by next month, given that Cav's contract only has till year-end to run. Also Cav did the training with GB and the Derby Rev AND the track meet in Germany to get those UCI points on board so that he could ride World Cups - without even consulting Lefevere first (according to PL).

After BW won the Tour, Keisse tweeted him a few weeks later to say that it would be a dream of his to partner him at Gent, and BW replied to say the same.

Would love to see it if it ever happened, but equally would love to be the Brad-Cav show again.

Where's that pic Camille McMillan took of the pair of them in the cabin at Gent in 2007? Its a cracker... :D
  • You would think that if Cav rides and is still under contract that would mean he'd have to ride with Iljo. Which would probably rule Wiggins out of a winning partner...

Who's iljo riding with in London?

@gietvangent
  • You would think that if Cav rides and is still under contract that would mean he'd have to ride with Iljo. Which would probably rule Wiggins out of a winning partner...

Who's iljo riding with in London?

'Little Niki' Terpstra, I'd imagine