Mason Definition

leedsmjh
leedsmjh Posts: 196
edited December 2016 in Your road bikes
New toy! Mason Definition (Alu alloy) with 105 and hydraulic disc brakes in 50 cm.

mason1_zpsje3ri6lr.jpg

mason2_zps8idvwjy4.jpg

Only been out for a couple of spins so far but very happy with it.
It's my commuter/winter bike so it will be getting some proper mudguards.

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Jealous. Extended ride report would appreciated in time.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • sanspoof
    sanspoof Posts: 111
    This looks great!! Very jealous.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Like it.
  • johnnymcg259
    johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
    Looks ok (I'm still not sure of disc brake aesthetics on road bikes tbh)......like the colour scheme.

Hunt wheels.......need to know how they ride please as they look decent value on first glance.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Lovely! Seen one of these in the flesh, and the blue is much darker and inkier than the photos. Gorgeous looking frame.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Very nice! I'm desperately trying to justify buying one of these (or more likely a Resolution) over a cheaper, higher specked (but considerably worse looking) gravel bike, as a do-it-all.

Do please offer us a ride report.
  • leedsmjh
    Very nice! I'm desperately trying to justify buying one of these (or more likely a Resolution) over a cheaper, higher specked (but considerably worse looking) gravel bike, as a do-it-all.

I've only ridden it for about 40 miles all told so far so can't offer an extended ride report just yet, but I've been pleased so far. Handles really nicely, neither twitchy nor dull and picks up when you put your foot down. Wheels seem fine and are quite light, maybe don't keep spinning for as long as my Hopes but there's not much in it. It is beautiful - welds are smooth, great attention to detail in the build and I like the unfussy design of the paint job though I would have opted for a lairier colour if they had one. My last outing with shimano 105 was 5600 and 5800 is such an improvement. Really like the hydraulic brakes - good modulation, I haven't accidentally locked the wheel up and no squeaking thus far including on wet roads.

There's an excellent review on road.cc which swayed me. I was looking for a replacement for my current winter/commuter which is a 2007 alloy Synapse and definitely wanted hydraulic disc brakes and mudguards, and for it to look good and be a colour other than black/grey. The skies are grey enough in winter I don't want a matching grey bike. This is also a "sensible purchase" displacement activity to keep me away from the Cherubim website.
  • mbroady
    mbroady Posts: 63
    Great looking bikes, discs are sweet too.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Big like for that.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Thanks for that! I've read the road.cc reviews and they are impressive. May I ask how the comfort is? I'm naturally wary of aluminium frames from past experience, but I hear good things these days. With bigger tyres too, the weight saving and price might make it a more attractive option than the steel.
  • leedsmjh
    Thanks for that! I've read the road.cc reviews and they are impressive. May I ask how the comfort is? I'm naturally wary of aluminium frames from past experience, but I hear good things these days. With bigger tyres too, the weight saving and price might make it a more attractive option than the steel.
    Can't comment on long ride comfort yet but nothing to indicate that will be a problem, I've not found it harsh at all.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    cool, like that...
  • Hi. Beautiful bike and looking to order one myself and am trying to figure out whether to go for the 50 or 52cm. Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm 5'7 and previous bikes have been 51.5cm. I'm leaning towards the 52cm and can then play with the stem.

Hope the bike is still going well - can't wait to get one.

Best wishes
  • leedsmjh
    hooters75 wrote:
    Hi. Beautiful bike and looking to order one myself and am trying to figure out whether to go for the 50 or 52cm. Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm 5'7 and previous bikes have been 51.5cm. I'm leaning towards the 52cm and can then play with the stem.

Hope the bike is still going well - can't wait to get one.

Best wishes

I'm a bit under 5'6. Sizing is good for me in the 50 cm with 9 cm stem. I found this website useful when comparing sizing with other bikes. http://www.bikegeo.net/
  • Fantastic, thanks and especially for the very quick reply.
  • racingzero
    racingzero Posts: 111
    Sorry, cant get excited about that...especially with white bar tape...best thing about it is the different graphics up the forks
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Massive fan. Really looking forward to any updates after more riding
    FCN 3 / 4
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Lovely, lovely bike!
  • FitzM
    FitzM Posts: 232
    leedsmjh wrote:

I've only ridden it for about 40 miles all told so far so can't offer an extended ride report just yet, but I've been pleased so far. Handles really nicely, neither twitchy nor dull and picks up when you put your foot down. Wheels seem fine and are quite light, maybe don't keep spinning for as long as my Hopes but there's not much in it. It is beautiful - welds are smooth, great attention to detail in the build and I like the unfussy design of the paint job though I would have opted for a lairier colour if they had one. My last outing with shimano 105 was 5600 and 5800 is such an improvement. Really like the hydraulic brakes - good modulation, I haven't accidentally locked the wheel up and no squeaking thus far including on wet roads.

There's an excellent review on road.cc which swayed me. I was looking for a replacement for my current winter/commuter which is a 2007 alloy Synapse and definitely wanted hydraulic disc brakes and mudguards, and for it to look good and be a colour other than black/grey. The skies are grey enough in winter I don't want a matching grey bike. This is also a "sensible purchase" displacement activity to keep me away from the Cherubim website.

Are you still loving your Mason Definition? While I don't need another bike, I'm so tempted to get my 1st disc bike and the Mason Definition looks (on the Internet) fantastic?
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028