Crown Race Removal Tool

woodyonthebeach
woodyonthebeach Posts: 583
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a quick question for you.

I need to buy a crown race removal tool, but cant afford to go down the Park Tool Crown Race removal tool route as much as I would like to.

I was wondering if anybody had bought the LifeLine Crown Race removal tool(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-crown-race-remover/). Whats the quality of the tool like and the packaging that it come in?
The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    are you sure you need the tool?

with an alloy crown you can certainly do without, just use a punch and hammer and be gentle, go around the edge to slowly/evenly lift it

for cf be more careful, you can use stanley knife blades as wedges, gently tap in from each side, you can stack two or more if one isn't enough to get the race high enough to remove with finger pressure
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • are you sure you need the tool?

with an alloy crown you can certainly do without, just use a punch and hammer and be gentle, go around the edge to slowly/evenly lift it

for cf be more careful, you can use stanley knife blades as wedges, gently tap in from each side, you can stack two or more if one isn't enough to get the race high enough to remove with finger pressure

I have tried the punch/screw driver method but am a bit hamfisted and plus its a carbon steerer(?) tube which is why I was thinking about doing it properly. Otherwise I would go go the route you described.

This is only going to be used on a cane creek crown race as the hope ones I have fitted on other bikes have been made with a split in for the purpose I think.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    If it's for a one-off and you'll be fitting a split race after, I'd be inclined to wander down to the LBS and give them a fiver to take it off.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I have that model crown race remover, I bought it to remove the crown race on a Kona P2 steel MTB fork, did the job with no problem, though not used it on a carbon road bike fork. IIRC it just came in a small cardboard box.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    If it's for a one-off and you'll be fitting a split race after, I'd be inclined to wander down to the LBS and give them a fiver to take it off.

This.
    Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)