Hope pro 2 hub noise

mudsucker
mudsucker Posts: 730
edited June 2015 in MTB general
Hi,

I have recently bought a Hope pro 2 rear hub for my Stumpy to match the front one I already have on the front.

Not totally sure I like the extra noise or not at present but I met someone who defiantly didn't.

I rode the Wiggle South Downs Epic 40 mile yesterday and passing a couple out walking and as I went past I heard him say to his partner "what a racket"! :-)

Ben
Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
2013 Trek 1.2
1982 Holdsworth Elan.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Did you not know this before you bought it?
  • mudsucker
    Well i have been told they made a bit of noise. Wasn't realise it was going to be that much!

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Mine got louder after the first 100 miles or so, the newer ones are a little bit quieter.
    It's very handy for letting people know you there.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I think you miss heard the guy. I reckon he said "What a ratchet!"
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why was he defiant?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudsucker
    Mine got louder after the first 100 miles or so, the newer ones are a little bit quieter.
    It's very handy for letting people know you there.

It does save fitting a bell, think of the weigh saving!

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I don't mind the noise, heard it for first time a few weeks ago and it didn't seem that loud.

What is it in the hope hubs that makes the noise as it sounds similar to the mechanism on socket wrenches?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its is the ratchet system in the freehub, its the pawls (in the freehub as I understand it on a Hope) running over the teeth in the main hub, my Superstar are quite noisy, my later Novatech are much quieter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The new Pro 2's are quieter than the old ones. Pull off the freehub and make sure there's some grease in there, they shouldn't be offensively loud if greased. You can add a bit of extra grease to make them quieter but if you over do it they won't engage reliably.
  • mudsucker
    The new Pro 2's are quieter than the old ones. Pull off the freehub and make sure there's some grease in there, they shouldn't be offensively loud if greased. You can add a bit of extra grease to make them quieter but if you over do it they won't engage reliably.

Thanks for the tip, i shall take a look :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.