11-25 to 11-28 rear cassette

warreng
warreng Posts: 535
edited June 2015 in The workshop
Just a quick question - hopefully a straightforward answer!

If I were to swap to a 28 rear cassette from a 25 would that necessitate getting a new rear mech or would the current one be able to cope?
2015 Cervelo S3
2016 Santa Cruz 5010
2016 Genesis Croix de Fer

Comments

• Just a quick question - hopefully a straightforward answer!

If I were to swap to a 28 rear cassette from a 25 would that necessitate getting a new rear mech or would the current one be able to cope?

Depends what your current one is. Don't forget you might need to add links to the chain too.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Ah! I forgot about the chain - I'll wait until it needs changing and do both then. I'll just have to be a bit slower up the hills for a while
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many bikes have the chain to long, so check it!

Check the largest cog size for the rear mech, but it will probably be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    It also only becomes an issue if you go Big-Big, just make sure you're on the small ring when you start changing down, assuming it's not single speed off course.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Pretty much every short cage rear mech will cope with a 28 rear cog. Chain may or may not need to be slightly longer but then. You should always put a new chain on when you change cassette anyway. Consider a 12-28, 11 cog of little use and you get 1 less double tooth gap.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem