Servicing Pike dual air?

Peanut651
Peanut651 Posts: 59
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, I'm wanting to have a go at servicing my Pike 454 dual air forks. I'm slowly losing negative pressure during rides, it holds the pressure fine when just sitting there so i'm guessing I might just have some worn seals.

Am I right in thinking that the oil for the rebound is only kept in the upper legs of the fork on the compression side and there's only 6ml of oil on the air spring side for lubrication, and there's nothing in the actual lower legs?

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sram have very good service manuals on there pages for all forks with all the info you need.

download and read. dont forget you will need the manual that is older than your forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Peanut651
    Thanks both. Didn't know they had manuals on there.

I've seen some videos about servicing the pikes, but they already had the lower legs off at that point. I feel competent enough to do the job, just needed the info about the oil.

Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I did the SIDs at the weekend and have done Rev's before (and Manitous before that), no single action is hard.

Must haves
    1/ Syringe for 5ml lower/air spring lube fill
    2/ Right oils (lube and damper fill)
    3/ Large socket for top caps (24mm from memory)
    4/ Deep 10mm socket for removing dual air sleeve nut
    5/ Long 5mm allen key for damper side, mine needed a bit to fit onto the socket set for reach combined with torque required

If they are more than 3 years old then the foam rings may well be beyond redemption and you may need a seal/foam ring kit (and new crush washers as well).

Be warned, the old fork oil will get everywhere, it keeps dripping out, I do the job in the utility and thenwash the whole floor afterwards as the floor is like a skating rink when I've finished even if I've wiped up the spills with kitchen roll as I go!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Peanut651
    I've got all the tools, if they're not missing lol. I've ordered a full service kit that comes with everything needed like two different oils, dust seals, o rings etc etc.

Cheers.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used to service my old Pike dual air. It's not difficult, just follow the instructions precisely and keep everything clean. Degrease and thoroughly clean everything before reassembly. Make sure you have an old washing up bowl or similar under the fork as you remove the lowers to catch oil and leave the uppers upside down in it to drain.