Which basic entry hybrid bike should I buy for my brother?

Missybiker
Missybiker Posts: 73
edited July 2015 in Commuting general
I have taken up cycling in a big way and a little has rubbed off on my brother. He bought a cheap second hand mountain bike off a friend and is using it to cycle to and from town 4-6 miles each way and occasionally rides on a towpath. I want to buy him a bike (I don't have a huge budget, up to £350 and we both think that a hybrid would be a good idea. I have seen a Btwin 300 hoprider for £230 which seems to have some reasonable features and spec. I realise that for this price range we won't get the lightest ride, but that isn't a concern. He is only just getting into riding and want to use it to build and keep fitness and as mentioned get to town and shops if need be. Probably a maximum of 25-30 miles a week. I want a reliable brand, with a range of features. I have also seen a Giant Escapte city 3 for £349 which could also be ideal.

I have a place in Spain and the Btwins are everywhere (I assumed they were a european brand, and didn't realise that you could even buy them here in the UK). and they seem an attractive looking brand. does anyone have any experience of the Btwin brand or suggestions.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Btwin is Decathlon stores in house brand.

At that price point the Voodoo Marasa (Halfords) is amazing value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    I've got the Giant Escape 3 for fitness riding and the odd trip around town. I find it hard to fault.

A tad slower than my road bike, but comfortable, seems well made and good value for the £299 that I paid for it. I paid £30 extra for some decent mudguards. Took them off though :D

I was considering a 2nd hand Boardman of similar, but the cost of a new bike seemed a more sensible than spending a similar amount on an unknown entity.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For more than the Marasa the Escape is a nasty spec, Tourney and screw on freewheel, rim brakes instead of hydraulic discs, that's not a comparison, it's a massacre! That bike would cost about half that without the Giant logo, sorry to knock your ride, but it's true.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    For more than the Marasa the Escape is a nasty spec, Tourney and screw on freewheel, rim brakes instead of hydraulic discs, that's not a comparison, it's a massacre! That bike would cost about half that without the Giant logo, sorry to knock your ride, but it's true.

Ouch. Everyone's a critic :D Don't worry about knocking my ride (not that one, anyway). It was a cheap winter hack. I do rather like it though.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    BTwin/Decathlon are generally about as good as you can get in terms of value for money. That hoprider is a bit of a mule though. Comes with rack and mudguards but is built for strength and will be fairly heavy. If you can stretch a little, the Triban 520 that would be sooo much lighter and better bike in my opinon.

Voodoo and Carrera from Halfords are also top of the list for value, as is Boardman but they are more pricey generally. I used to really like the Carrera Gryphon for that money but for some reason they stopped making it. They still do the Subway which again is a solid and reliable bike but probably the Voodoo Marasa is better, similar spec though.
  • Missybiker
    Guys,

Thanks for the info and advice. I think I get what you are saying. the Btwin bikes are a good value brand, and you like the giant and also something called the voodoo marasa.

I will check them out! My current ride is a Giant LX hybrid which I love to bits but it is heave. think I am ready for my next bike..... N+1 :D
  • Missybiker
    Guys,

Thanks for the info and advice. I think I get what you are saying. the Btwin bikes are a good value brand, and you like the giant and also something called the voodoo marasa.

I will check them out! My current ride is a Giant LX hybrid which I love to bits but it is heave. think I am ready for my next bike..... N+1 :D
  • New Marasa is coming into Halfords at teh moment so the old one is £280 if you can find a store with one in stock
  • Missybiker
    Thanks for the advice chaps! Will take a look at the Boardman and Marissa.

Many thanks!