Best USA website for ordering bicycle?

topslop1
topslop1 Posts: 11
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been to a couple local bike shops in my area and I don't care for them. I also don't care for their ridiculous prices. Or their brand carry/selection.

I'm 6'2'' 32'' inseam. I'm going to plunge into the 'chance' category of getting a bicycle off the 'net after best fitting my measurements.

We are nearing the end of the 2015 lineup-life. Who is stateside (USA) that is has great deals? Who have you dealt with before that you can recommend? I'm not a connoisseur at this point so I think I'd be pretty happy with just about anything that fits me and isn't too uncomfortable. I can get a professional fitting for $200-$300 afterwards if I am crazy enough to shell out to the coin to do so.

A few bikes that are on my radar: SYNAPSE DISC 5 105 Alloy, Giant Defy 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2 (possibly a little much for a first bike). A slightly more upright endurance bike is probably a good first to get me started, keep me riding longer with less pain.

I'd like to keep Shimano 105, and or disc brakes if possible. I'm thinking that adding carbon to those two things is going to spike the price upward beyond what I might want to pay/do.

Be great if I could find $1000-$1200 price point. It is nearing end of season. Who is the best online retailer? I will use my LBS for a tuneup when need be and pay out of pocket for it.

Comments

• martino53
    martino53 Posts: 29
    WTF, why would you give your money to the imperialist pig when you've got all of Europe to choose from, do some fricking homework! The air goes in the tires not in your head.
  • phills
    phills Posts: 68
    WTF, why would you give your money to the imperialist pig when you've got all of Europe to choose from, do some ******* homework! The air goes in the tires not in your head.

Ouch, that's a bit harsh. I think he's in America so would be logical to buy local rather than pay shipping and taxes from Europe that would eat into his budget. Most people on here are in Uk/Europe so probably not the best place to ask. Try the Paceline Forum which has mainly American posters on it and they should be able to point you in the right direction.#

http://forums.thepaceline.net/
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like he's in Uk/Europe to me, not US.

Why not buy the best deal you can find? I would. As long as you're competent with a set of Allen keys, you should be OK.

The pound has picked up quite nicely lately making it better to buy in Euros and $. I live in France and normally buy from the UK (Wiggle, etc.), but lately it's been better in Europe in Euros.
  • phills
    Sounds like he's in Uk/Europe to me, not US.

Why not buy the best deal you can find? I would. As long as you're competent with a set of Allen keys, you should be OK.

The pound has picked up quite nicely lately making it better to buy in Euros and $. I live in France and normally buy from the UK (Wiggle, etc.), but lately it's been better in Europe in Euros.

He says he can get a professional fitting for $200/$300 so I would think he must be US based unless he is going to travel to get this done? If he is in Europe then, yes, I'd check the usual suspects, Wiggle, Chain Reaction etc
  • martino53
    martino53 Posts: 29
    WTF, why would you give your money to the imperialist pig when you've got all of Europe to choose from, do some ******* homework! The air goes in the tires not in your head.

Ouch, that's a bit harsh. I think he's in America so would be logical to buy local rather than pay shipping and taxes from Europe that would eat into his budget. Most people on here are in Uk/Europe so probably not the best place to ask. Try the Paceline Forum which has mainly American posters on it and they should be able to point you in the right direction.#

http://forums.thepaceline.net/

I have indeed been reprimanded by a site rep. :!: , as you say it's a bit harsh. I Jumped to the conclusion that he was here in Europe. So, should in fact the poster be in North America, then I humbly apologise, certainly it's his call where he buys from. Having no lack of "imperialist pigs" in European polotics I suppose we'er all in the same boat.
  • phills
    Politics and cycling are paths that should never cross. I enjoy cycling, not so much politics! :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "I've been to a couple local bike shops in my area and I don't care for them"

This strikes me as U.S. English, and the fact that the OP mentions prices in dollars twice convinces me he is U.S.A. based.

So I'm not qualified to offer any advice regarding prices or retailers. The alu Cannondale Synapse with 105 would be a good bike though...
  • topslop1
    topslop1 Posts: 11
    sorry, yes, I'm located within the USA. No harm done, I'm not offended very easily, in fact I don't think you could if you really tried.

I was pulled to bike radar from the great youtube reviews I've seen. I will try posting in Paceline to target a more geographically correct crowd.

Any pointers on ordering a bike online? I think the more relaxed geometry bicycles are easier to fit a broader array of person so I might have less trouble ordering one of those as a first bike as opposed to getting some racier type.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Competitive Cyclist looks like good online shop and has a pretty good online fitting system.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/?CMP_ID=PD_GOc014TM&CSPID=0916&gclid=COKT-P3mo8YCFWnItAodV0YAjg&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo