What's the worse you've felt on the bike?

lakinlakin
lakinlakin Posts: 62
edited June 2015 in Road general
Tales of woe and despair please.

I stay in Scotland and recently went on a ride in full winter kit, despite it being the 19th of June. My phone battery died, there was an unexpected headwind on the way home, I was freezing cold and had to spend the the last 10 miles out of the saddle due to saddle soreness. Nearly bonked, but not quite.

I know its not a massive tale of woe, just one of those days when you wonder to yourself ... wtf am I doing this?

Surely you can do better. What's your worse experience been?

Comments

• #csb
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

I stay in Scotland and recently went on a ride in full winter kit, despite it being the 19th of June. My phone battery died, there was an unexpected headwind on the way home, I was freezing cold and had to spend the the last 10 miles out of the saddle due to saddle soreness. Nearly bonked, but not quite.

I know its not a massive tale of woe, just one of those days when you wonder to yourself ... wtf am I doing this?

Your phone battery died? Sheesh, #firstworldproblem.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74
    Years and years ago I was about 120 miles into an LSD ride. Beautiful day. I was about 20 miles from home and had a 40mph head wind into a terrible storm. Out of fuel, out of money, out of energy...looking down at my speedo, suffering...I was going 8mph. I tore the computer off of the bike and have since only trained with time/heartrate/wattage.

Well, then there was the time I broke two arms, two wrists and four vertebrae.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Doing a mtb sportive about 8 years ago.

hardly any training prior to the event, a middle distance ride with a horrendous amount of climbing.

The last ten miles or so, every marshalling point i was thinking of stopping and getting a lift back as i was goosed. I never did as i knew it would hurt for a lot longer giving up. Being chased off the course and being told to ride quicker by one of the marshall's clearing the course was surprising.

it was a great sense of achievement when i completed the ride and i was so far out my comfort zone. The closest I've ever come to quitting.

I remember doing the coast to coast and the weather was abysmal for the three days with the wind and rain in our faces every day. Go to the top of Hartside, went in the cafe to dry off and after coming out feeling warmer and slightly dryer I distinctly remember having to pedal down the other side as the wind was so strong.

The greatest relief was on the same coast to coast. Cloud was so low we were riding at cloud base, drenched, knackered and wondering if we had taken a wrong turn when we summited and saw a crappy sign for a cafe. It was a portacabin but it was warm,dry and served hot chocolate and cake. It was surreal and totally unexpected at that point on the ride but I can still feel the elation and picture the sign.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806

I stay in Scotland
    No point in going any further.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Just after climbing Greenhow (climb out of Pateley Bridge) for the first time on my road bike.. Made it all the way up, fast as I could, at which point my left calf cramped up and I collapsed into the ditch about 50m after getting out of the steep bit - Nice start to an 80 mile trip (this was 15 in) and it took 10-15 mins to loosen up again...
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    To be fair the weather this year has been utter crap. Headwind since February and I think I have beeen out in short sleeves once this year. F%&^ing depressing. :|
  • lakinlakin
    lakinlakin Posts: 62

On a bike??
  • Matthewfalle

On a bike??

Being a medical man, I presume he must have fallen off At some point. Probably too busy concentrating on training with heart rate/wattage/time for that all important local club 10/Sunday chain gang.

Either that is his stem is too low. One of the two options I suppose .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    The one and only day I bonked, although I can't actually remember how/the route/where/and how I got home
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    January 31st, wanted to try get the Strava Gran Fondo challenge completed. Went out and did 50 on my own, felt fine, met up with some club mates with the intention of doing about 25 with them and then only having a bit more to do on my own. Pushed too hard with them, bonked, let them go off on their own because I was holding them up, and then struggled back home. Coming down the one small fast downhill, I ended up drifting to the other side of the road, realised that it wasn't just my legs which had gone, just couldn't concentrate on the road and riding in a straight line was a challenge. Stopped at the carvery just down the road to get some food in me and set off back for home (only about 3.5 miles). I'm convinced I wouldn't have made it back home if I didn't stop for that carvery. I was about 20 miles short of the Gran Fondo in the end, so the only good thing to come out of it was the knowledge and experience that comes from suffering a bonk, hopefully I can use that to make sure it never happens again!
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553

Your phone battery died? Sheesh, #firstworldproblem.

I'm wondering if his forum photo is actually a photo of him.

A dead battery, 10 miles into a head wind and getting cold in June. I think someone needs to HTFU.
  • Matthewfalle
      January 31st, wanted to try get the Strava Gran Fondo challenge completed. Went out and did 50 on my own, felt fine, met up with some club mates with the intention of doing about 25 with them and then only having a bit more to do on my own. Pushed too hard with them, bonked, let them go off on their own because I was holding them up, and then struggled back home. Coming down the one small fast downhill, I ended up drifting to the other side of the road, realised that it wasn't just my legs which had gone, just couldn't concentrate on the road and riding in a straight line was a challenge. Stopped at the carvery just down the road to get some food in me and set off back for home (only about 3.5 miles). I'm convinced I wouldn't have made it back home if I didn't stop for that carvery. I was about 20 miles short of the Gran Fondo in the end, so the only good thing to come out of it was the knowledge and experience that comes from suffering a bonk, hopefully I can use that to make sure it never happens again!

Wow. Puts Helmand into perspective I can tell you that much.

Hungry so had to stop at a carvers...... Toby or independent?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
      • January 31st, wanted to try get the Strava Gran Fondo challenge completed. Went out and did 50 on my own, felt fine, met up with some club mates with the intention of doing about 25 with them and then only having a bit more to do on my own. Pushed too hard with them, bonked, let them go off on their own because I was holding them up, and then struggled back home. Coming down the one small fast downhill, I ended up drifting to the other side of the road, realised that it wasn't just my legs which had gone, just couldn't concentrate on the road and riding in a straight line was a challenge. Stopped at the carvery just down the road to get some food in me and set off back for home (only about 3.5 miles). I'm convinced I wouldn't have made it back home if I didn't stop for that carvery. I was about 20 miles short of the Gran Fondo in the end, so the only good thing to come out of it was the knowledge and experience that comes from suffering a bonk, hopefully I can use that to make sure it never happens again!

Wow. Puts Helmand into perspective I can tell you that much.

Hungry so had to stop at a carvers...... Toby or independent?

Harvester, real SUFFERING
      • CYCLESPORT1
        CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
        Try riding Hill Climbs (racing that is)
      • norvernrob
        norvernrob Posts: 1,447
        This is an easy one! I did a 100 miler with a mate last Sunday. The weather forecast (several different ones) all said no rain until lunchtime, then a 50% chance of light rain. So I just wore a jersey and windproof/mildly waterproof gilet.

We set off at 7am, at 9am the heavens opened and it kept hammering down constantly. At the 65 mile mark the route took us up a narrow lane which gradually turned into a mud bath until the wheels wouldn't turn anymore. I was stood on a muddy lane, soaked and freezing cold, poking mud off my 6 grand bike with a stick.

We saw a couple walking and they pointed us in the right direction to get back to a road, where we had to repeatedly fill our bottles from puddles and spray the mud away from the brakes, wheels and forks just to get going again. By this time I was shivering uncontrollably and must have been fairly close to being in real trouble. I got back on the bike hoping to warm up and the next couple of miles were downhill!

We then went through a nature reserve, where the Garmin decided to lose the route. We had to navigate the 40 miles home by stopping every couple of junctions and checking the maps on my phone to see where we were. And still it kept raining.

When we eventually got home the first thing I did was clean the bike (before I even went in the house, I must be mental) and noticed straight away my saddlebag had disappeared. 40 quid to replace the spares and bag!

Edit: my left hand was also numb for around 3 hours, at the time I thought it was the cold but the hand was weak for several days after. I think my mitt shrunk/contracted slightly with the wet and cold - I couldn't take them off myself, my wife had to do it!
      • de_sisti
        de_sisti Posts: 1,283
        Marmotte 2009:
        As an asthma sufferer I wanted to take some painkilling tablets to alleviate the lower back pain
        I was suffering from. I took Ibuprofen (without reading the enclosed leaflet). Unfortunately, the
        Ibuprofen and asthma medication I was taking resulted in a feeling of someone standing on my
        chest every time my heart-rate approached 135 bpm. Suffice to say, I had an extremely slow ride.

Marmotte 2011:
        As an individual who sweats huge amounts, I made sure I didn't over-exert myself on any of the climbs
        and had ensured my preparation for the event was more than enough. However, after refuelling at
        the top of the Glandon I commenced the descent and started to experience cramp at the top of my
        right thigh. This continued (as well as in my other thigh) all the way to the finish. Suffice to say, I had an extremely slow ride.

* (My back was pain-free though) :)
        ** (Please be aware: some people sweat a lot more than others).
      • iPete
        iPete Posts: 6,076
        Try riding Hill Climbs (racing that is)

What he said! TT Hill Climbs are horrific and a whole new level of pain.
      • thomasmorris
        thomasmorris Posts: 373
        Easily my South Downs Way Double: https://www.strava.com/activities/286359429

Extract from my blog:
        The climb out of Jevington to the Eastbourne golf courses, approaching the turning point, and this was the first time I can remember being slightly irritable. A tell-tale sign of what was to come. My eating had gone to plan, but I was losing my hunger. I got a puncture up that climb, and dismounted to spin my wheel round so the sealant would collect and plug the hole. It took a few attempts, and re-mounting the bike it was starting to feel like a long ride. Normally, the Eastbourne golf courses are a happy place, signifying the end of the ride and I have fond memories of sprinting along the tops to final post marker. But this time there was no fanfare or sense of achievement, just the thought that I had to do it all again.

I had a brief sit down at Eastbourne, and ate another bar, but this one really stuck in my throat. It was a different flavour though so I just put it down to not being very nice, but looking back this is the first obvious sign I was losing my appetite.

I set off from Eastbourne just down on my faster estimate, but knowing I still had the reverse of the hilly end to do. I filled a bottle at the church in Jevington, but couldn’t stomach a gel or bar. The real turning point was the tap on the A27 near Lewes. As I stopped I immediately threw up; still 120 km to go...

Rest of the blog here fi you want to read the full story: https://mozzy656.wordpress.com/
      • Karlos69
        Karlos69 Posts: 107
        I consumed 2 full bottles of SIS GO energy drink whilst on a hot ride last year, which resulted in uncontrollable diarrhoea.
        Cannondale Killer V
        Trek 6500
        Cannondale Bad Boy
        LOOK KG176
        Giant TCR Composite 1
      • Setting off too fast, then suffering premature capitulation
      • davidof
        davidof Posts: 3,042
        So many rides, so much suffering but one sticks in my mind, about 30 years ago, a Hilly 15 mile TT. Pushed to the limits and beyond, came in third and spent the week in bed afterwards.
        BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
        Instagramme
      • Zingzang
        Zingzang Posts: 196
        spent the week in bed afterwards.
        Two and a half years ago. Went out for a 40 mile ride after two weeks off the bike with a nasty virus. Never got going on the ride. Felt like death warmed up. Came home and developed Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Have not now ridden bike for 2 years.

There is good news and bad news when you get this disease. The good news is the disease isn't fatal. The bad news is the disease isn't fatal.

If anyone thinks I'm joking, think again. And yes, it could happen to you.
      • I had a real shocker a few weeks ago, did a 3-4 hour loop and got back realising I'd left my rear pocket unzipped on my jersey. Gutted.
      • bikes`n`guns
        bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
        Yup. I stay in Scotland

Done the whole summer kit and ended in a snowstorm, miles from home, screaming headwind.

Made it though, cause ah`m hard
        Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
      • motty89
        motty89 Posts: 10
        Worst i've ever been was in a 25 TT this february. Rode there then did the TT without eating anything, after about 22 miles I was feeling pretty good and averaging 28mph and my legs totally went, I completed the last 3 miles which were flat with tailwing at 12mph and I could barely turn the pedals! At the finish I felt dizzy, was trembling, couldn't balance and was totally spaced out had to get a lift back to HQ. I've felt really bad at long rides before but never anything as bad as that, will never forget to eat again!
      • Druidor
        Druidor Posts: 230
        getting lost after riding to Swindon and back across towards Didcot with only the A34 dual carriageway as a direct route home towards Newbury, wife calling to say son had to be at karate lesson in 1hr and me miles away from home hills all the way. 78 mile ride later hot sunny day, had a flat, no water left and reached the point of being totally knackered ( Not the most fit person) had to push hard to get back in time made it with 10 minutes to get him there.

Future reference when I feel like going off my usual routes plan a return in advance.
        ---
        Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
      • homers_double
        homers_double Posts: 8,030
        On a mountain bike I rode Hit The North (2) solo for 12 hours and after four 7.5 miles dropped my first ever gel. Headache, nausia and shivers followed for the next 6 laps. The only thing to sort it was a nice lamb roast when I got home.

Also rode Sleepless In the Saddle on SIS, gave up on that gunk after a few laps as I also felt horrible.

Rode a road ride with a mate a while ago with a 48hr bug. We'd arranged days off work etc so needed to get out. Felt bad, rode bad, sick when I got home.

None of the above were my fault thoght, it just means I don't like gels and tummy bugs :oops:
        Advocate of disc brakes.
      • vinnymarsden
        vinnymarsden Posts: 560
        Went out yesterday at 12noonish VERY VERY warm..didn't eat breakfast (my bad) and took a bottle of water… 30miles in I felt somewhat depleted/warm..40miles I was in a different world!! Felt heavy/light headed/lethargic..stopped at garage, bottle of fizzy energy drink… in one!! Did NOTHING..I think the damage was done, my assessment after crawling home was mild heat exhaustion..headache..nausea, cramps…all the symptoms.. and all my own fault, I am usually very clued in re food etc, but this was a lesson learned.The heat kind of caught me out as I'm sure most would agree, we haven't had many warm days to ease into it really!! :o:o