Indexing Question (CAADX)

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi all

All gears all change well and smoothly except when I change from 20th to 19th it kind of snatches at it a little. I think I probably need to adjust the low screw, but I'm really not very good at this so I don't know whether it need to go clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Please help :)
Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    As you look towards you cassette from the front of the bike. If you want it to shift easier/smoother to the right (up to larger cogs) slightly turn Anti-clockwise. If you want to shift smoother to the left (down to smaller cogs) turn slightly clockwise. I am talking about the adjustable barrel here not the screws.
  • drewesq
    As you look towards you cassette from the front of the bike. If you want it to shift easier/smoother to the right (up to larger cogs) slightly turn Anti-clockwise. If you want to shift smoother to the left (down to smaller cogs) turn slightly clockwise. I am talking about the adjustable barrel here not the screws.

Thanks man! :)
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • drewesq

I have tried this, doesn't seem to help. I should probably say that the rest of the gears are fine - it is just going from 20th to 19th that is kind of sticks a bit...
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I'd disconnect the rear mech cable and start again.
    Can be a few reasons for sticky shifting.. the cable itself .. a badly stretched chain...
    When on the workstand have a good squint at the rear mech that the jockey wheels are sweetly lined up where they should be .. especially under the 11t/12t sprocket.
  • It might be that the derailleur hanger is slightly bent. That's a common cause of "I can index most but not all of the cassette" type of problems. Your LBS will almost certainly have a hanger alignment checking tool, but you can pick them up online for around £25 if not.