Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 - discounts?

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hey peeps. Donkeys since I last popped in, long story but I had a growing injury around my upper glute and lower back area which eventually got the better of me and my riding days were gone, for the last year or so anyway. Happy to report that I'm almost back to fitness after a long battle and thankfully I'm back out on the steed, which currently is my gorgeous TCR Advanced 2 2012 Ultegra.

Anyhow, after a few rides out I've realised that the geometry of the TCR is just too aggressive and my back is starting to complain a little, so I've decided it's time to consider something with a more forgiving riding position. However, I like to ride fast so I wanted something that is still stiff as hell and will allow me to maintain aggressive riding speeds over longer distances without sacrificing my health.

Being a Giant fan I've decided on the 2015 Defy Advanced Pro, and not being a fan of the black and red Pro 1 I've talked myself into the Pro 0, which is somewhat above my desirable budget. I have a Giant store nearby but wondered if any of you have had any luck negotiating the price down direct with the manufacturer before? I know the LBS's are open for negotiating but wondered if the manufacturer stores will budge as easily?

Will have to trade in the TCR advanced to help fund it, which is absolutely mint so confident I'll get upwards of £750 to £1k for her, but still need to get the £3249 price tag down a little at least.

Comments

• ct8282
    Anyone. Or am I gonna fly solo on this?

Just curious if anyone has had success dealing with the manufacturer directly so I know what to play for.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I was in your position (though lower price point in the range) but came up blank. Ended up ordering in from €uroland (Ireland in fact) because the prices were fixed in £ & € before there was a significant shift in favour of the £. Saved 27%
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I've not bought a bike from a Giant store so can't offer you any advice regarding what discount they would be prepared to offer, you can only ask the question.

Just a suggestion, could you manage on your TCR until September when the 2016 bikes will be released? You may be able to get a better discount on the out going bike, of course this is a gamble as the the exact model/size you want may have sold out by then. Could you get more selling your TCR privately rather than PX?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I might be wrong but i think Giant (and Specialized) shops are basically LBS, they are not manufacturer owned.
  • ct8282
    I've not bought a bike from a Giant store so can't offer you any advice regarding what discount they would be prepared to offer, you can only ask the question.

Just a suggestion, could you manage on your TCR until September when the 2016 bikes will be released? You may be able to get a better discount on the out going bike, of course this is a gamble as the the exact model/size you want may have sold out by then. Could you get more selling your TCR privately rather than PX?

I was planning to wait until the 2016 release but apparently Giant bikes over £1.5k don't generally arrive until March time next year. They release the lower ranges first, or so I've been told, by Giant some time back. Maybe that was nonsense to try and sell off bikes at full price.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    What size are you after out of interest ? Have seen a medium on offer.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Further to my previous - currently €3900 in Ireland (£2750) but at least one store has a (free) membership scheme that drops that to ~€3700/£2650