Two different shoe sizes

Miles253
Miles253 Posts: 535
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello

I've recently bought a pair of Fizik r5B shoes and was getting discomfort at the protrusion of tibia on the ankle
Ive pretty much narrowed this down to having two different sized feet.I always knew this was the case, but its never caused discomfort until now. Basically the movement within the shoe of the smaller foot, is causing the arch of the shoe to press and rub into the bone unnaturally

Does anybody have any viable ways of bringing my shoe size down in a sustainable and comfortable way? Do shims exist for such issues? etc

Any suggestions would be really helpful.
Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group

Comments

• Just wear thicker socks on the smaller foot.
    Most people have one foot slightly bigger than the other, usually on your dominant side i.e. right for right handers left for lefties.my main hobby is rock climbing and when you drop from a size 9 shoe to size 6 1/2 climbing shoes you notice the little size difference between feet even more.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'd personally go and see a sports podiatrist and get some advice on custom footbeds/inserts that might help more than extra socks.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    I have a similar problem, my resolution was to buy Lake shoes.

I got a pair of the CX402, left size 45 and right size 44, not cheap but well worth the investment.

If you want to do the same you need to go to a shop that sells Lake, get a fitting for each foot and they will order them for you as they will be custom made, they also have regular and wide fits so you can get a really good fit.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Two different sized feet.

Just about everybody has this to some extent. With the cycling industry so focused on fit and comfort etc. it surprises me that no shoe manufacturer has acknowledged this and tried to solve the problem.

No matter, what we need is a web site for swapping single shoes :D.

You buy a pair and put the make and model of shoe you bought and the shoe size onto the site along with the size you require for your larger/smaller foot. The site matches you with your opposite who has the same make and model of shoe. Practically a dating site for shoes :lol:

Would be useful for cyclists, runners ... the possibilities are endless :lol::lol:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Any podiatrist/boot-fitter with half a brain will have a stock of volume reducers. Start with 2-3mm and work from there.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • earth
    Any podiatrist/boot-fitter with half a brain will have a stock of volume reducers. Start with 2-3mm and work from there.

If the shoe is too long then it makes it difficult to place the cleat in the desired location. No amount of inserts into the shoe will change that.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610

If the shoe is too long then it makes it difficult to place the cleat in the desired location. No amount of inserts into the shoe will change that.

No it isn't.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • domgears

No it isn't.

Yes and no, you will get the correct fit but shoes of all types are designed to flex at certain points, if your foot is not in the correct position within the shoe, the flexing in the wrong place will reduce the life span and may well cause discomfort.

Ok, so flex isn't an issue when talking cycling shoes but the way they support and enclose your foot would be affected, possibly leading to pressure points, so the correct size for each foot is important.

The suggestion of creating a site is an excellent idea but I feel it would be impracticle due to the sheer number of diffent brands, models and colour schemes.

Like I stated, with Lake shoes you can order customised shoes of differing size and width, with either speedplay or 3 bolt patterns.

The only issue with this is cost, I paid £325 for mine but when you put into context the cost of other components on a decent bike and the level of comfort gained I think they were worth every penny.
  • earth

Like I stated, with Lake shoes you can order customised shoes of differing size and width, with either speedplay or 3 bolt patterns.

The only issue with this is cost, I paid £325 for mine but when you put into context the cost of other components on a decent bike and the level of comfort gained I think they were worth every penny.

Those shoes retail for around £370 so it sounds like you got a good deal for a custom made pair. How do they feel after a long ride?
  • domgears

Those shoes retail for around £370 so it sounds like you got a good deal for a custom made pair. How do they feel after a long ride?

Pretty damn good, the ability to just loosen off 1 section without having to stop helps enourmously, that combined with the fact you don't need to have them as tight because you mould them to your feet. They are deffinitely the most comfortable cycling shoes I have ever had but obviously not as comfortable as a pair of trainers.

They don't charge extra for getting customised sizing, just the same list price but don't expect a discount, that said I did get a discount, the list price was $650 Singapore dollars but because of a screw up with them sending the wrong customisation I had to wait 3 months for them, so I actually got a 10% discount, which means I actually only paid £275