Single speed wheelsets

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited June 2015 in Commuting general
I am considering single speed, two choices disc or rim brake. I don't know what axle lengths of these two are (Genesis Flyer and Day One) I am just looking at availability of replacement wheelsets down the line. I know you can get custom wheels, but off the shelf gives me more choice / better value.

Would the single speed rim brake wheelsets be more common and readily available? And the disc brake version pretty rare and non-existant?

I got custom wheels made for my Carrera Gryphon (supplied wheels were awful) they cost about something like £100-£150 or so, Shimano M series hubs, Mavic disc 700 rims, etc

I got this for my tourer for about £50 and it's pretty robust

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mwheel-shimano-deoremavic-a319-front-road-bike-wheel/

and I have a spare set of Campagnolo Vento I could use (if I went for day one v brake, then fit campag shim to single speed adaptor)
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just use a normal geared wheel with an adaptor on the freehub?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • father_jack
    That's ok, if the bike has rim brakes, but one I'm looking at has disc, so disc brake, 700cc, single speed is pretty rare.

Would try to get dedicated SS wheels rather than regular rear wheel with adaptor.
  • The Rookie
    So SS 29er MTB wheels then, Hope do a good SS hub, but I'd still say just get some wheels and use a normal freehub adaptor, even easier as you are looking for 29er MTB wheels, so not sure why you say it would be OK for rim brakes but....!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • father_jack
    The two SS bikes I'm considering either have rim brakes, or disc brakes.

Rim brake models are more common, disc not so much and 29er wheel probably hefty rims for MTB tyres not road tyres
  • The Rookie
    Probably? - why not check!

You can get narrow XC rims that are just as light as road rims, go look.

For example my rims on my MTB are 26" 17mm internal width and weigh in at 320g, in a 29er they would be 355g.

So do you want rim or disc brake, you ask for a wheel suggestion and don't appear to know what you want yourself!