ASO Threatens to Pull its races from World Tour for 2016

The_Boy
The_Boy Posts: 3,099
edited June 2015 in Pro race
I'm sure there's probably an existing thread for this, but couldn't find it when I did a search.

Anyway, as it says on the tin really - ASO unhappy at the lack of progress with the proposals for reform that have been floating around and threatens to pull its races if Something Isn't Done.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/tour-de-france/aso-threatens-to-pull-races-from-uci-2016-calendar-177867
Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Bit light on detail as to what they are objecting about and why they are threatening such a move, is it because the reforms haven't been agreed when they said they would or are the reforms not to ASOs liking.

I saw INRNG tweet it was due to the latter as the UCI are looking at proposing that the Giro and Vuelta should be reduced to 2 week races.
  • The_Boy
    Bit light on detail as to what they are objecting about and why they are threatening such a move, is it because the reforms haven't been agreed when they said they would or are the reforms not to ASOs liking.

I saw INRNG tweet it was due to the latter as the UCI are looking at proposing that the Giro and Vuelta should be reduced to 2 week races.

Tbh, I had always assumed that ASO were one of the parties unhappy with some of the changes so was a bit surprised to see the line that the bicycle press were taking - one of the reasons I started the thread.

Unless they are even more unhappy with the uncertainty than they are with the proposed changes.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Trouble is definitely coming, Velon have been set up to try and a get a better funding deal for teams, race organisers, with ASO being the biggest, take a lions share of the revenue so something has to give.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Not the first time this has happened. The 2008 Paris Nice was split from the UCI and run by the French cycling federation in protest at hour the then ProTour was run.
  • The_Boy
    INRNG wrote:
    According to a Reuters article yesterday, ASO sent a formal letter to the UCI earlier this week saying it could pull its races off the UCI calendar if the UCI doesn’t implement some of the proposed reforms. In contrast French website VeloPro, equally well-informed, says ASO is upset with some of the proposed reforms and could pull its races if these reforms go ahead. Today’s L’Equipe sides with the latter explanation suggesting ASO and other race organisers are not happy and the UCI is left to find a compromise between the teams and the organisers.

So that's clear, then.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Surely the length of the Giro and the Vuelta is a decision for the organisers of the Giro and Vuelta. I don't like the current fad for "radical" solutions...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I agree. I would add that from a sporting or entertainment point of view I can't see why anyone would want to cut a week from the Giro so we can fit in the likes of the Tour of Beijing, Qatar, Azerbaijan or any other place you have to think about how you spell it. In the modern era a grand tour is 3 weeks, if they need to be shortened then they need to remain of equal length or else they are no longer grand tours. I'd rather scrap the Vuelta and have the Giro and Tour spaced further apart so we get all the big guns riding both than have a single grand tour and reducethe status of the Giro.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • disgruntledgoat
    I agree. I would add that from a sporting or entertainment point of view I can't see why anyone would want to cut a week from the Giro so we can fit in the likes of the Tour of Beijing, Qatar, Azerbaijan or any other place you have to think about how you spell it. In the modern era a grand tour is 3 weeks, if they need to be shortened then they need to remain of equal length or else they are no longer grand tours. I'd rather scrap the Vuelta and have the Giro and Tour spaced further apart so we get all the big guns riding both than have a single grand tour and reducethe status of the Giro.

But again, that's for the Vuelta's orgainisers. Not anybody else. Why would they scrap their race?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Absolutely, I'm not saying my preferences should dictate the uci calendar. I quite like the idea that races compete - if you can attract the crowds and the riders then go ahead.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bit light on detail as to what they are objecting about and why they are threatening such a move, is it because the reforms haven't been agreed when they said they would or are the reforms not to ASOs liking.

Surely the length of the Giro and the Vuelta is a decision for the organisers of the Giro and Vuelta. I don't like the current fad for "radical" solutions...

BMC amongst others want the Giro / Vuelta to be 2 weeks. Mainly to make it easier logistical for them.

ASO should set their stall out and tell the teams to like it or lump it. As far as the situation is currently, all the problems / scandals etc are caused by the teams. Velo want to take revenue but add nothing. UCI need to concentrate on regulating the sport, ASO look after organising events and the teams can look after getting to the races with riders that aren't all charged to the eyeballs. Until they get these simple things right, there's no hope for them.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561

But again, that's for the Vuelta's orgainisers. Not anybody else. Why would they scrap their race?

ASO are the organisers of the Vuelta...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    It all seems a bit reminiscent of the argument about the ProTour, which had very little impact on the actual racing and not a lot really changed, fundamentally.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Velo want to take revenue but add nothing. UCI need to concentrate on regulating the sport, ASO look after organising events and the teams can look after getting to the races with riders that aren't all charged to the eyeballs. Until they get these simple things right, there's no hope for them.

this
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • disgruntledgoat

BMC amongst others want the Giro / Vuelta to be 2 weeks. Mainly to make it easier logistical for them.

ASO should set their stall out and tell the teams to like it or lump it. As far as the situation is currently, all the problems / scandals etc are caused by the teams. Velo want to take revenue but add nothing. UCI need to concentrate on regulating the sport, ASO look after organising events and the teams can look after getting to the races with riders that aren't all charged to the eyeballs. Until they get these simple things right, there's no hope for them.

Precisely, if BMC don't like the length of the Vuelta or Giro then they can pack it after 2 weeks.

@gietvangent