mpatts Posts: 1,010
    as in, denmark?

Me.
    Insert bike here:
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Nope.

Qualified but not available to go.

Sounds good though, I hope you have a good time.
  • Also qualified but decided not to go having considered the logistics, cost etc.
    Checked the Road Race website and there seems to be quite a few GBR entries. Hope everyone has a great race. Looking forward to seeing the results.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I'm entered for the TT- didn't qualify outright to begin with but didn't do badly and I got an invitation last week after not enough qualifiers went on to enter. I also thought the logistics would be too tough to get to (plane then 4-5hr drive depending on which airport you go to) but luckily it turned out some of my old club mates were going and happy for me to go with them.
    We're going as cheap as possible but it's still going to be expensive just by the nature of being in Denmark.

Really looking forward to it though- never in a month of Sundays would I have even considered that I would ride at the Amateur Worlds.
  • Birdthom
    Birdthom Posts: 31
    It's coming round pretty quickly now. Anyone seen a FB group or similar for UK riders to co-ordinate travel plans and a post-race beer?
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    It's coming round pretty quickly now. Anyone seen a FB group or similar for UK riders to co-ordinate travel plans and a post-race beer?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/807254159381729/ or search for 'UWCT - Team GB'

Paul
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am doing the road race. Does anyone actually know where in aalborg we are meant to go on the 6th and for what time. Details seem non existant.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    Their website is not that clear but,

starting times are here:
    http://www.denmark2015.dk/index.php?p=menu/side.php&menu=19&side=30

starting line can be seen by zooming in their route map, and is in the centre of town.
    http://www.denmark2015.dk/index.php?p=menu/side.php&menu=19

The have sent a newsletter and apparently there is a briefing on Saturday at 2pm.
    I arrive on Friday pm and i plan to go to the centre of town in the morning of Saturday where hopefully it will become clear (i hope!) where to register etc...
  • cycleclinic
    the lack of detail is concerning! I hope it will become clear on saturday.

never got the newsletter.
  • cycleclinic
    Pm you e-mail address I have a riders guide for the weekend now (I asked for one from the organisers and got a prompt reply). It's too big to add as an attachment to the site. It answers all questions.

Malcolm
  • pan280
    pan280 Posts: 88
    Thanks! After trying to send a pm and failing, I had another look at their website and found the riders guide.
    For anyone else wondering about the procedure it is all in here

http://www.denmark2015.dk/index.php?p=nyheder/profil.php&nyhed=19
  • mpatts
    Thanks! After trying to send a pm and failing, I had another look at their website and found the riders guide.
    For anyone else wondering about the procedure it is all in here

http://www.denmark2015.dk/index.php?p=nyheder/profil.php&nyhed=19

So then, did you enjoy it?
    Insert bike here:
  • Not sure if enjoy is the right word!
    This was a very hard race, with lots of ex pros and really strong amateurs.
    Also this was a race many people targeted for the year, I just showed up hoping for the best.
    It started hard and remained hard all the way. I managed to stay with the main peleton of my age group for about an hour.
    Eventually i got dropped and just rode round with different dropped riders.

A very hard race, well organised, and suitable for powerful riders (pancake flat+wind).
    Travelling from the UK is not that hard to get too, flights were cheap enough but hotels, and food were very expensive.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Not sure if enjoy is the right word!
    Also this was a race many people targeted for the year, I just showed up hoping for the best.
    It started hard and remained hard all the way. I managed to stay with the main peloton of my age group for about an hour.

A very hard race, well organised, and suitable for powerful riders (pancake flat+wind).
    Travelling from the UK is not that hard to get too, flights were cheap enough but hotels, and food were very expensive.
    Pancake-flat! Did we both ride the same course? My Garmin claimed 1600m of climbing over the 164k; officially it was 1335m (which is the same, IIRC, as the Ride London). Constant sodding undulations - no real climbs, no real descents, very few actually flat bits. Impressed you managed to hang on to the peloton that long - the pace was brutal. I was under-trained (having slipped a disc at the start of the summer), but even in peak form I doubt I'd have held on. By the back 60 I was pretty broken, and crawled round with some other stragglers having ridden most of it solo. I'd do it again, but only if I was in proper condition - otherwise it's just an expensive and lonely sportive. It was an interesting experiment in the difference having a group to ride with makes - I had exactly the same NP as the RLS100, but took 50 minutes longer because I rode it largely alone.

I liked Denmark - in that quiet, clean, friendly way that the Scandics do so well. I didn't think the food was especially expensive, but it was largely awful. You'd think a town in the part of the world would have great seafood, but no - it was all oversalted beef (I also had some spectacularly grim "roast pork" - more like salted leather).

CityJet also managed to mislay my bike on the way back (along with shoes, helmet, Garmin, clothes, tools etc), so I had a pretty anxious 24 hours before they found it again. At least it was on the way back, I suppose...
  • mpatts
    Not sure if enjoy is the right word!
    It started hard and remained hard all the way. I managed to stay with the main peloton of my age group for about an hour.

Pancake-flat! Did we both ride the same course? My Garmin claimed 1600m of climbing over the 164k; officially it was 1335m (which is the same, IIRC, as the Ride London). Constant sodding undulations - no real climbs, no real descents, very few actually flat bits. Impressed you managed to hang on to the peloton that long - the pace was brutal. I was under-trained (having slipped a disc at the start of the summer), but even in peak form I doubt I'd have held on. By the back 60 I was pretty broken, and crawled round with some other stragglers having ridden most of it solo. I'd do it again, but only if I was in proper condition - otherwise it's just an expensive and lonely sportive. It was an interesting experiment in the difference having a group to ride with makes - I had exactly the same NP as the RLS100, but took 50 minutes longer because I rode it largely alone.

I liked Denmark - in that quiet, clean, friendly way that the Scandics do so well. I didn't think the food was especially expensive, but it was largely awful. You'd think a town in the part of the world would have great seafood, but no - it was all oversalted beef (I also had some spectacularly grim "roast pork" - more like salted leather).

CityJet also managed to mislay my bike on the way back (along with shoes, helmet, Garmin, clothes, tools etc), so I had a pretty anxious 24 hours before they found it again. At least it was on the way back, I suppose...

My performance sounded similar to yours - I'm a cat 3 racer and was wholly out of my league! It was manic - I held on to the first climb, at which point the field rode away from me. I looked at my power meter and was doing north of 400 wats!

I'd certainly do it again.

I found a couple of nice places to eat as it goes, and had a very nice time.

I hated the godfrey kit though - will think a bit more abotu it if I qualify again.

also, a shame there were no GB elites there, I know a few guys who woudl have put in a strong showing rather than my poor one!
    Insert bike here:
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    My performance sounded similar to yours - I'm a cat 3 racer and was wholly out of my league! It was manic - I held on to the first climb, at which point the field rode away from me. I looked at my power meter and was doing north of 400 wats!

Exactly. When they said the first 2k was neutralised at 30km/h, I thought I'd at least get a warm-up, but Strava says we were at 45km/h+ (and 342W) inside the first 800m. The Tour of Cambridge was the same (although that had the added bonus of having spent an hour waiting to start, to ensure completely cold legs). I think if there was more of a progressive start, more of us Cat 3/4 types might have hung on a bit longer, but going from zero to way over FTP in 30 secs just blows me up completely.
    I'd certainly do it again.
    I'm not so convinced. Maybe with more training (although the gap from me to a 4:06 is probably uncrossable), or if one built more of a trip around it (I flew in, did the race, flew home). An occasional humbling experience is no bad thing, sure, but it was a lot of money to grind out a largely solo 100-miler. Certainly unsure that I want to go to Perth (!) for a rinse-and-repeat (although that looks like a more bearable course, with long flat sections either side of some proper-ish climbs).
    I hated the godfrey kit though - will think a bit more abotu it if I qualify again.
    I agree - I picked up one of the Adidas/BC Team GB tops from eBay instead. I'm not sure I want to trail around at the back representing my country, though. Perhaps velcro union flag patches, for ease of camouflage if needed?
  • I'd agree with the above posts. A very tough race, very windy especially when crawling around at the back on your own. Did manage to hang on to a few groups as they went past which helped. Great event I thought overall. A memorable weekend. May not do Perth next year but I'd be keen next time it heads to Europe
  • Didn't ride it or the qualifier but I think you should expect the level of it to be similar to top amateur races and the winner should have a very good chance of going pro, guessing by the TT results it was that sort of level at the top? but if did seem very easy to gain entry to, maybe in time it will get bigger and with it more strength in depth
  • Qualification from the UK this year was very easy indeed. This is a combination of it being the first, that the ToC became a full qualifier very late, and because it had a lot of entrants who weren't plausible contenders but counted for the total from which the 25% were taken.

The response from the UK qualifiers was exceptional, I think. A lot of people went to Denmark to race, and the fact that we were mostly useless didn't diminish the event nor hinder it. We just need BC to get onboard with the Gran Fondo concept, and Masters age groups. There's clearly an unmet demand.

Qualification next year will clearly be tougher. This is a good thing. Looking forward to failure already!

Paul
  • mpatts
    Didn't ride it or the qualifier but I think you should expect the level of it to be similar to top amateur races and the winner should have a very good chance of going pro, guessing by the TT results it was that sort of level at the top? but if did seem very easy to gain entry to, maybe in time it will get bigger and with it more strength in depth

Looking at my power plot, essentially it was an elite race until I ggot dropped!

Hoping to qaulify again next year anyway.
    Insert bike here:
  • Didn't ride it or the qualifier but I think you should expect the level of it to be similar to top amateur races and the winner should have a very good chance of going pro, guessing by the TT results it was that sort of level at the top? but if did seem very easy to gain entry to, maybe in time it will get bigger and with it more strength in depth

Looking at my power plot, essentially it was an elite race until I ggot dropped!

Hoping to qaulify again next year anyway.

sharing is caring..........
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Qualification from the UK this year was very easy indeed. This is a combination of it being the first, that the ToC became a full qualifier very late, and because it had a lot of entrants who weren't plausible contenders but counted for the total from which the 25% were taken.

The response from the UK qualifiers was exceptional, I think. A lot of people went to Denmark to race, and the fact that we were mostly useless didn't diminish the event nor hinder it. We just need BC to get onboard with the Gran Fondo concept, and Masters age groups. There's clearly an unmet demand.

Qualification next year will clearly be tougher. This is a good thing. Looking forward to failure already!

Paul
    LVRC... to be perfectly honest, the less BCF have to do with veteran racing the better...just to make sure.. yes, happy with my £20 race licence and usually £8 race fee... nah I'd be even happier to quadruple that because its BCF??? what do you think...