Dragging back wheel?

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited June 2015 in Road general
A week ago whilst riding on a relative flat road my back wheel appeared to drag - its was not too dissimilar to the effect of riding on a flat. On inspecting the tyre it wasn't flat, the wheel was very much true and spun freely when rotated by hand. I checked the cranks and they seemed fine. The problem seemed intermittent. I have since ridden two other road bikes in the week and lo and behold they seem to suffer the same problem. I am not actually sure whether the problem resides within my mind :cry:

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    False flat road syndrome - you think it's flat but it's not and so you slow down for no reason you can appreciate at the time.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    There are two possibilities here.

1. The spokes are loose.
    2. The spokes are not strong enough for the rider.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74

1. The spokes are loose.

Huh? 1 would include with a 2 or 3x wheel some pinging at the intersections as well as hearing the nipples pinging on the rim. MAYBE, but that will cause a wheel to feel like a noodle not slow. Would also more often than not cause wobble and brake rub. Remember, the spokes hold the bike UP from falling, the top spokes are tensioned. They lower spokes do not hold you up.

#2 - um, not since the days of the Titanium spoke craze (often radial on 18 or 20 spoke wheels and BEFORE modern high tension wheels. That too would cause windup and ping - not a feeling of a "flat" tire.

My suspects - snapped tire bead, rare, but possible.
    - broken tire belt (under the tread)
    - Puncture resistant tube (as in super thick tubes or tubes with sealant in them).
    - water in the rim. Used to happen to me on Shamal HPW 12 wheels as well as a Hed wheel

But, what do I know. I am only certified in wheel building and repair from Wheelsmith, Zipp, Campagnolo, Mavic, Sapim and a few others.
  • Record11Ti
    letap73 wrote:
    I have since ridden two other road bikes in the week and lo and behold they seem to suffer the same problem.

Yep, the rider :wink:

He needs to take the 24 pack of beer out of his paniers. :mrgreen:
  • pblakeney
    ... Would also more often than not cause wobble and brake rub...
    You could have stopped there.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    But didn't he say that he's also ridden two other bikes along the same road over the last week and had the same result? Presumably different wheels, so can't be a sole wheel problem, indicating false flat or rubbish rider ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    But didn't he say that he's also ridden two other bikes along the same road over the last week and had the same result? Presumably different wheels, so can't be a sole wheel problem, indicating false flat or rubbish rider ......
    Option 2? :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle

Well, I didn't want to say anything in case the usual suspects started getting all angry and shouting at me, but you can't ignore the science .........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647

Well, I didn't want to say anything in case the usual suspects started getting all angry and shouting at me, but you can't ignore the science .........
    Its tempting, but unfortunately you aren't being a tit today.

I once knew a guy who took up cycling to keep fit during a lay off from rowing. He got himself an old steel Pinarello and rode around for 3 hours with the QRs loose, and concluded that this cycling lark was harder than he'd imagined.
  • Matthewfalle

Its tempting, but unfortunately you aren't being a tit today.

I once knew a guy who took up cycling to keep fit during a lay off from rowing. He got himself an old steel Pinarello and rode around for 3 hours with the QRs loose, and concluded that this cycling lark was harder than he'd imagined.

Thank you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

1. The spokes are loose.

Huh? 1 would include with a 2 or 3x wheel some pinging at the intersections as well as hearing the nipples pinging on the rim. MAYBE, but that will cause a wheel to feel like a noodle not slow. Would also more often than not cause wobble and brake rub. Remember, the spokes hold the bike UP from falling, the top spokes are tensioned. They lower spokes do not hold you up.

#2 - um, not since the days of the Titanium spoke craze (often radial on 18 or 20 spoke wheels and BEFORE modern high tension wheels. That too would cause windup and ping - not a feeling of a "flat" tire.

- Puncture resistant tube (as in super thick tubes or tubes with sealant in them).
    - water in the rim. Used to happen to me on Shamal HPW 12 wheels as well as a Hed wheel

But, what do I know. I am only certified in wheel building and repair from Wheelsmith, Zipp, Campagnolo, Mavic, Sapim and a few others.

You both could have saved all that typing if you'd read the OP. It's happening on all the different bikes he's been on recently, hence it's in his mind like he said.
  • pblakeney

1. The spokes are loose.

You both could have saved all that typing if you'd read the OP. It's happening on all the different bikes he's been on recently, hence it's in his mind like he said.
    That would depend on how different the bikes are. Similar bikes, similar results.
    It wasn't that much typing really.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Could be the tyres are on the wrong way
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle

1. The spokes are loose.

Yeah - just wot like that MF bloke said at the top of the thread. More typing that could have been saved. Just like this.

Oh.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Record11Ti
    Well, one could just type "because your fat and slow"...but, real advice and scenarios gives everyone advice.
  • Matthewfalle
    Well, one could just type "because your fat and slow"...but, real advice and scenarios gives everyone advice.

Not really though, really. Your advice would have been perfect in a completely different scenario but not the one we are in.

But nice try though.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Perhaps you don't have the British Cycling team's rounder round wheels. Perhaps you only have round ones?