Buyers guide to road wheels - Tubeless and cassette options?

Mombee
Mombee Posts: 170
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Two inaccuracies in the road wheel guide just published (link below):

1 - I don't believe that tubeless rims are backwards compatible with ALL tyres? Older tyres may not work in a tubeless configuration, certainly without a great deal of faffing about.

2 - I'm happy to be wrong on this as well, but aren't the latest 11-speed cassettes and wheels from all three main manufacturers (Shimano, Campag and SRAM) cross-compatible.? Looking at new wheels, it seems that the fittings are now common, but could be wrong.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/buyers-guide-to-road-bike-wheels-44287/
http://www.mombee.com ... more than just bikes.
Cannondale CAADX Disc

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It also says that too much tension in the spokes results in a harsh ride, which is bollox I'm afraid.
    Spokes gauge plays a role in how supple the wheels feel, but spoke tension has no bearing on that
    left the forum March 2023
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Two inaccuracies in the road wheel guide just published (link below):

1 - I don't believe that tubeless rims are backwards compatible with ALL tyres? Older tyres may not work in a tubeless configuration, certainly without a great deal of faffing about.

I think it means that you can use standard clinchers and tubes on a tubeless rim. You don't have to use tubeless tyres.
    2 - I'm happy to be wrong on this as well, but aren't the latest 11-speed cassettes and wheels from all three main manufacturers (Shimano, Campag and SRAM) cross-compatible.? Looking at new wheels, it seems that the fittings are now common, but could be wrong.

The freehubs are different between campag and shimano/sram - so you can only put a campag cassette on a campag freehub and shimsram cassette on a shimsram freehub. However, with 11-speed, the sprocket spacing is the same - so you can run a campag wheel & cassette with a shimsram drivetrain - and vice-versa.