hope tech xc pro 2 evo wheels

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Anyone on the forum using these wheels ?

Are these strong enough for light/medium trail use as the enduro wheel set will be overkill for the bike, the wheels will be going on a 26er hard tail with 120mm travel.

I'm just wondering about strength as I'm not light currently 16 stone but working on that.

I have had before xt hubs on mavic en521 rims but sold them on as they were solid but overkill for what I need.

Any suggestions, wouldn't mind try tubeless so I've thought of stans?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    i know a lad who has a set of the Hope Tech XC whees. They seem to be fine for his xc & trail centre riding . They certainly won't be as srtong as my Hope Enduro wheels but they are a lot lighter.
  • swod1
    i know a lad who has a set of the Hope Tech XC whees. They seem to be fine for his xc & trail centre riding . They certainly won't be as srtong as my Hope Enduro wheels but they are a lot lighter.

Cheers for reply, I'm sure they will be fine for the riding I do but just unsure due to the weight I will be putting on them, myself and bag of gear etc.

Looking at hope pro 2 hubs for the way you can adapt the hubs to different axles and the sealed bearings will be handy for the winter as I ride in all weathers.

I'm looking at custom wheel builds now as the last wheels I got from merlin cycles were spot on but overkill.

ztr arch ex rims with the hope hubs seem to be the choice for width and weight?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crest->Arch->Flow depending on usage.

The weights Stans specify is quite restrictive, I'm on Alpines that have a max weight of 75Kg, I weigh about 85Kg ready to ride. No problems yet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    Crest->Arch->Flow depending on usage.

The weights Stans specify is quite restrictive, I'm on Alpines that have a max weight of 75Kg, I weigh about 85Kg ready to ride. No problems yet.

Well I am a bit more heavier than that so best to go for something stronger, the original bontrager rims have lasted 3 years so far but aren't really strong enough have had them trued a couple of times and replacement spokes fitted.

Does any one use mavic xm719 rims how light are these stated weight 460g but plus spokes and hub we talking about 800+ for rear wheel?

stans arch ex are stated as 400g.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I used to have 719's and they're a tough rim but despite the difference in claimed weight my scales say they are only 15 grammes lighter than my Hope Enduro rims. Either Hopes claimed weight is a bit high or Mavics is a bit low or a bit of both.
    I noticed no stans rims in this month's MBUK trail wheel test. Hope tech Enduro came out as best value.
  • swod1
    I used to have 719's and they're a tough rim but despite the difference in claimed weight my scales say they are only 15 grammes lighter than my Hope Enduro rims. Either Hopes claimed weight is a bit high or Mavics is a bit low or a bit of both.
    I noticed no stans rims in this month's MBUK trail wheel test. Hope tech Enduro came out as best value.

Not sure what to believe as mavic state on the website the tubeless ust xm819 rim is only 405g.

The 521's I had were nice wheels but a little heavy and over kill really an enduro rim on xc hard tail lol.

Just looking for a balance of stiffness and lightweight if there is ever such a thing and rim width of 19mm should be fine for a tyre up to 2.2.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yes, Mavics claimed weight for the 719 is much lighter than the Hope Enduro but when I swapped mine I weighed both and they were virtually the same weight.
  • swod1
    Just wondering if the hope rims will be strong enough though.

I'm now looking at the mavic xm819 ust or stans arch ex rims on pro 2 evo hubs and can't decide which, might as well get tubeless compatible rims as I will try this out at some point.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Whether they will be strong enough depends on how you ride and your weight.
  • swod1

well being around 100kg including gear and having a hard tail im not riding anything too rough at the moment, im more thinking my weight i might feel some flex in the wheel on more rougher trails?

i need to weigh these bontrager wheels they seem pretty light though just not tough and compromise.

a wider rim better for heavier riders i guess?
  • The Rookie
    Flex in the wheel is to do with wheel build and very little to do with the rim at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

well being around 100kg including gear and having a hard tail im not riding anything too rough at the moment, im more thinking my weight i might feel some flex in the wheel on more rougher trails?

i need to weigh these bontrager wheels they seem pretty light though just not tough and compromise.

a wider rim better for heavier riders i guess?

I'm 100kg and ride a variety of stuff and have the EN521 on Hope Hubs and find it the perfect combination of weight and strength (32 hole, Sapim Race spokes) on my Transition Bandit. I'd be very reluctant to build "lighter".

I have H+Son Todestrieb on Novatech hubs (again 32 hole, Sapim Race) on my 29er hardtail. If I were to change the Mavics on the Bandit then I'd seriously consider them as I really like the extra width for fattening up tyre profiles and being able to run slightly softer pressures.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swod1
    edited June 2015
    I'm 100kg and ride a variety of stuff and have the EN521 on Hope Hubs and find it the perfect combination of weight and strength (32 hole, Sapim Race spokes) on my Transition Bandit. I'd be very reluctant to build "lighter".

I have H+Son Todestrieb on Novatech hubs (again 32 hole, Sapim Race) on my 29er hardtail. If I were to change the Mavics on the Bandit then I'd seriously consider them as I really like the extra width for fattening up tyre profiles and being able to run slightly softer pressures.

I've had EN521 rims before on xt hubs, they were solid but just overkill for what I need. As I'm willing to spend a good amount, I think I'm going to go for the mavic xm819 ust rim with the hope hubs.

On my hard tail I run a bontrager xr4 2.25 front and ground control rear 2.1 tyre.
  • lostboysaint
    Why go narrower as everyone else is going wider?
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swod1

I don't run large volume tyres so thought a narrower rim would be fine but I do see what you mean about having a wider wheel rim.

I was looking at stans and arch ex was on my list to choose from.

The bike is a 26er so I'm not going to be putting those silly +size tyres on it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    819s on Pro 2 Evos is a fairly safe combo although like any wheel the strength will come from the build as much as the components. Surprising how flexible and not-very-round some rims are on their own and yet they can be built up tough or noodly.

819s like most Mavics are tough in a brittle kind of way they take a lot of abuse and then just go whereas other rims will dent relatively easy but not actually break or crack. You say that 521s on XT were overkill but imo the extra 2mm gives 2.25 tyres a better profile whereas the 19s are more suited to 2.1s.

I'm 85 kg on a good day and the 19s are just that little bit weedy and on-the-edge whereas the 21s have strength in the bank at the expense of a moment's intertia when starting off. Might also want to have a look at WTB Frequencies have only had them 6 months but they've needed zero attention
  • swod1
    819s on Pro 2 Evos is a fairly safe combo although like any wheel the strength will come from the build as much as the components. Surprising how flexible and not-very-round some rims are on their own and yet they can be built up tough or noodly.

819s like most Mavics are tough in a brittle kind of way they take a lot of abuse and then just go whereas other rims will dent relatively easy but not actually break or crack. You say that 521s on XT were overkill but imo the extra 2mm gives 2.25 tyres a better profile whereas the 19s are more suited to 2.1s.

I'm 85 kg on a good day and the 19s are just that little bit weedy and on-the-edge whereas the 21s have strength in the bank at the expense of a moment's intertia when starting off. Might also want to have a look at WTB Frequencies have only had them 6 months but they've needed zero attention

I'm thinking to give stans arch ex rims a go these are 21mm or even the crest now you've mentioned rim width.

I know what you mean it is noticeable on the current wheels the tyre if run in low psi especially the front can feel like its rolled on the rim in the turns.
  • lostboysaint

I don't run large volume tyres so thought a narrower rim would be fine but I do see what you mean about having a wider wheel rim.

I was looking at stans and arch ex was on my list to choose from.

The bike is a 26er so I'm not going to be putting those silly +size tyres on it.

No, I understand that completely. I also understand exactly what you're looking for as I am the same weight as you, probably ride similar stuff etc. I don't run silly sized tyres either - the 29er (32mm wide rims) has WTB Trail Boss 2.25s on it. It doesn't alter the fact that the wider rim shapes the tyre better, allows less pressure - so more comfortable and more grip, has less chance of "rolling" off the rim and is more likely to be stiffer and a better build. I'm not sure quite why you are so "anti" your 521s. They (or Stans Flow) are the perfect rim for someone of our size - especially as you're just as likely to damage it on a stubborn root or stump sticking out of the trail as you are taking a jump or drop.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swod1
    yeah I think wider rim is the better idea.

I've been looking at the stans rims and have read they are harder to get tyres on/off them so thinking of going with a mavic rim instead and can go to the en821 ust rim if its worth the extra money for tubeless/lighter weight.

The en521s are tempting as buy the ready made up pro 2 evo wheels from merlin and get discount off hope products as the cost is over £50 so I could save some money.
  • swod1
    Going back to this I'm now after a new front wheel pretty quick after an accident my stock wheel that came with the bike is now buckled and think its best to replace than try and true it up.

So having a look around I'm thinking as its 26" and the choices seem to be getting less, en521 on pro 2 evo hub or the hope enduro wheel. I've missed out on ready built wheels on stans etc.

Rear wheel is a en521 rim and xt hub, I might get the same again for the front maybe but I'm over thinking the plus points of pro 2 hubs axle adaptors and changeable bearings etc.

Gone off idea of stans rims if the tyres are hard to get on/off.

what do you guys think I should go for?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've had 2 sets of stans rims (26" Flow and 650b Flow EX) and not really found tyres difficult to get on/off if it's any help
  • swod1
    I've had 2 sets of stans rims (26" Flow and 650b Flow EX) and not really found tyres difficult to get on/off if it's any help

Its just what I've read on reviews of stans when I've researching different wheel rim options.

I'm not going to be going tubeless straight away but will be giving it a go at some point.
  • I got both bont xr4 and conti mountain king on stans crest with just a track pump very easily
  • The Rookie
    Stans rims here' no issue, they are a little harder to get on than average, but I've had far worse.
  • swod1
    I'll reconsider stans rims then.

Looking again at arch ex on hope pro 2 hub.

I have a question 9mm bolt through will this fit in the quick release dropouts on my reba forks?

I have in my spare parts box both a 9mm bolt through axle and a new deore xt quick release skewer.

I'm thinking the 9mm through axle will if fits be more stiffer than the quick release?
  • swod1
    Going back to this topic, I got back off a mate a mavic en521 wheel with xt hub that I've had for a long while it now appears the seals have failed and the hub is knackered.

As the wheel rim is in good shape, I thought I could get the wheel rebuilt but it is cheaper to get a new wheel than have my old one rebuilt the cost of hope rear hub, spokes and paying local bike shop to build is nearly the cost of a new one.

I'm looking for options as it seems 26" is getting less so do I buy a ready build up hope enduro wheel (similar weight to one I already have) or go for another 521 with hope hub?

Seems ridiculous that wheel makers are dropping 26" so soon, I'm not getting rid of a perfectly good bike just to go to another wheel size.

Decisions?
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    You really can't go wrong with Mavic EN821 rims on Hope hubs. That is what I have just gone to on my 29er and I love them! As long as they are built well they are a fantastic buy.
  • swod1
    You really can't go wrong with Mavic EN821 rims on Hope hubs. That is what I have just gone to on my 29er and I love them! As long as they are built well they are a fantastic buy.

Strange that you should mention those wheels because I've just got off ebay a set of these wheels for a very good price and brand new never been used.

probably because they were for a 26er.

I just need to change the end caps on the hubs as they are the wrong type for my bike, I do like the sound of the rear hub.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    shouldn't have any issue getting 26 wheels, you are still spoilt for choice.