Getting oil out of clothing

dempsey1
dempsey1 Posts: 320
edited June 2015 in Road general
Just bought a top second hand. Its got some oil marks on it. Is there anyway to get the oil out without compromising the top? Some of the oil is on the water resistant bit too so dont want to remove the water resistant coating.
vanish?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Don't think there much chance of getting oil out without removing a water-resistant finish. I'd use Fairy Liquid or Swarfega just like I would on my hands. Brake cleaner works too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Depends on how long the oil has been in there and how the garment has been washed. Poundland or Home Bargains has a product called Elbow Grease. Spray it on the stain, then wash the garment. Worked for my stuff and the recommendation came from the manager of the Assos shop in Mcr. She was right about it but it's not a miracle worker. For a £1 it's worth a try
    M.Rushton
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    I stupidly worked on my bike immediately after a ride last weekend and managed to get oil and grease over a white jersey. A combination of Stain Devils and rubbing with a Vanish stick worked great... cleanest that top's been in a long while.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    bit of fairy liquid on it, leave it for a bit then wash as normal, if that doesn't work try swarfega, if that doesn't work, cover the rest of it in oil to even it out
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Rock n roll Miracle Red degreaser. Use it neat on the affected area, rinse out with water, then wash. I've used it a few times and it completely removes oil and grease stains. What it will do with regards to water resistant coatings, I have no idea. But I doubt it would do it any good.