Peculiar noise

DCI Gene Hunt
DCI Gene Hunt Posts: 138
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Im really looking for suggestions as to what this could be.

My road bike has 105 5700 chainrings, brand new 105 5700 bottom bracket, both hubs are 105 5700 and a brand new 105 5700 chain has been fitted also. The pedals are shimano m520 spd type and the shoes I use are shimano m089 with muti release shimano sh56 spd cleats. My Thomson seatpost , fabric shallow elite saddle rails and bottom bracket all have coatings of Teflon based bike grease.

Sorry for going into such detai,l but the source of the noise I am going to describe is so far evading me. Normally when Im pedalling the bike is silent as a mouse, but if I have to push through the pedals with great torque ie standing whilst pushing up a steep gradient I get a noise which isn't a click or a creak but more of a barking sound , and I suppose it sounds like a rubbing sound or the sound something vibrating might make and I sometimes think I can feel a vibration running up the right side crank , sorry for being a bit vague but its really hard to describe the noise :oops: All I know is that there is total silence until I push pretty firmly through the pedals and Id be grateful for possible causes of if anyone has experience of something similar.

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Brake rubbing on rims . Have you tried just releasing the quick release on the brake and trying it.
  • Brake rubbing on rims . Have you tried just releasing the quick release on the brake and trying it.

When I first read this my 1st thought was nah that wont be it, but dang it ive adjusted every other conceivable thing on the bike so I gave it a go. I widened the stance slightly between the dura ace brake blocks I have fitted to 105 5700 calipers and clipped in and headed for a 5% gradient nearby. I was out of the saddle and seated, on the big ring and the small ring and that vibration and bark from somewhere wasn't there :!:

I never would have thought of looking at the brake blocks to be honest as my back wheel is brand spanking new mavic open pro / 105 5700 hub . I had a major sprint crash 3 weeks ago which wrote off my previous wheel and I must have positioned the brake blocks a tad too close to the rims when I was installing the new wheel. Ill give it another blast in the morning and thankyou for a suggestion which just may have been the culprit.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Great stuff. I only knew this because I had the same issue on a brand new bike, and it's a strange noise. Hope it's sorted.