Finally got off my ass to go Gisburn forest!!

jamie 'jammy dodger'
edited June 2015 in MTB general
As the title states,went and loved it...Didn't manage all routes has my mate snapped his chain on 'Home baked' (which was my fav loop of the night).

Did mostly red no black yet,going back next week to try hopeline & hully.The skills loop was fun has was the one route where my 740 bars loved connecting with trees...Top night all round.

What's the Downhill section like & I believe there's a 'Slab?' to try.
Still can't wheelie :(

Comments

• steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    its good, but the black is really a red by scottish standards. we went when at centre parks. the dragons teeth bit was fun and the slabby bit is just really a rocky chute that is more mind over matter.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Gisburn is OK. The black isn't black though, not by a long way. Give it a try, you won't have any trouble .
  • Cheers...will do.

Would you use different car parks to reach other routes,I parked at the Hub.

Also,its a small world after all...met a mate I'd not seen in ages riding a Yt full carbon beauty...how the other half live.
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    the slabby bit is just really a rocky chute that is more mind over matter.

This. Stood looking up or down it it seems intimidating, but once you ride it it's no problem :D

I do enjoy riding Gisburn though, the Hope line and Hully Gully are nice enjoyable sections. I've always parked up at the Hub and just rode everything there but you can use a couple of easy fire roads from the hub to get straight to the Hope line if you want to by pass the lower section of the '8' loop.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • Viewed many videos on YouTube of various loops,not disappointed with the reality & lots of loops looked relatively flat on screen.

Thinking some new pedals maybe required,using dmr v12s which are fine XC but not grippy enough at gisburn.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    What shoes do you use them with?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I wear regular skate shoes,always have...noticed lack of grip on skills loop and home baked on the downhill part,they're fine on heavy xc but noticeable different at the trail centre.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You need better shoes. V12's are as grippy as anything else. Shimano AM41's are my favourite flat shoe, better suited to British weather than the alternatives.
  • Worth a look,few online stores have a discount on them..off to Lbs Friday,be nice to try a pair..got some cash aside for unnecessary bike upgrades.