On-one parkwood VS boardman team HT 650B

O.B.1
O.B.1 Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi there. I am looking to buy a bike for some road use and some trail use. I'm just getting back into biking again after several years. But want something fairly decent so it will last me quite a while. The Final two I have come up with are the on-one parkwood and the boardman HT 650B. Both similar prices. I have booked a test ride on the boardman this weekend. The only problem with the parkwood is the shops are 4 hours away as I'm in Devon. Can't make the choice. I will be getting the small frame in either. I do prefer the look of the parkwood and the frame style. Thanks for any help

Parkwood spec - £799.99
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX5/on-one-parkwood-sram-x5-mountain-bike

Boardman Team HT 650B - £720.99 (offer price)
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-ht-650b

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would have the On One for the better fork and brakes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But the Boardman has the better forks?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The on one fork is "Rockshox Recon Silver TK SoloAir 120mm 29er Fork / Diffusion Black / 15mm Axle / Tapered / Crown Adjust"

Is it better as its got the 15mm maxle on it for front end stiffness but the boardman has the gold colour stanchions?

Also both bikes will ride different with one being a 29er and the other 650B so try them both and then decide which you like?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The 'Gold' have auminium stanchions, so lighter than the 'Silver' which have steel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 650B fork is probably stiffer than the longer 29er with maxle as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • O.B.1
    O.B.1 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input guys. My issue is I can't try them both as the on one stores are too far for me to travel to Yorkshire to have a test ride. I have a test ride on the 650B on Saturday. Thanks