Ferrules on brake cables

Chris1178
Chris1178 Posts: 21
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi all

Just halfway through building up an old bike from scratch having never done anything like this before.

And I'm loving it!

Anyway, lbs gave me cables inner and outer etc and some metal ferrules and some plastic ferrules. The metal ones fit over brake outer cable and in the shifter housing fine. However, the metal ferrules won't go into the brake caliper receiver thingymebob. It's just too big. And the plastic ones won't go over the brake outer cable.

Brakes are 105 (5700). Do I really need the ferrules or can I do without? Or is there something else I could try. You may have guessed I'm not overly technical so nothing too complicated for me please!! I've fully fitted brake cables without but haven't cut/crimped the cable just in case I need ferrules...
:lol:
Any advice?
Cheers
Chris

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    The brake cable outer fits into the brake caliper cable adjustment nut without a ferrule.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    There's a good chance the plastic ferrules are 1mm smaller and intended for gear cable outers.

The metal ferrules will fit inside the 105 calipers if you remove the little silver metal ring that is loose inside the caliper's qr/adjuster. The ring is about 2mm deep IIRC and it's split so will 'flex' when you pry it out with a small screwdriver or similar.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    You don't need ferrules at the brake caliper.

Also, be wary of using cheap plastic ferrules on gear cables: if they flex and bend at all, your indexing will be crap!
  • Chris1178
    Chris1178 Posts: 21
    Thanks guys for the advice. Gonna try and see if I can get the little ring thing out. But at this point not sure what to use... Could do with some "un" pliers!!