chain was against the derailleur and other stuff

yadnom1973
yadnom1973 Posts: 45
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Recently my gear cable snapped so when I put it back I watched some YouTube tutorials and adjusted my back derailleur to get it all in trim. I noticed that the chain was against the derailleur and on asking about this found my chain had stretched. So I bought and installed a new chain and back cassette.
I then went about adjusting the high and low limiter screws and the cable tension to try and get it to all working well.
The back derailleur works smoothly now but when it’s on the largest cog and the front is on the largest cog the chain rubs against the inside of the back derailleur, I show it in this little video and also if I back pedal all heal breaks lose, is this normal? It also rubs on the inside of the front derailleur when in the opposite cogs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYy9FE_2xE&feature=youtu.be
The other problem is my front derailleur. It takes so much force to get it into the top cog that it makes it almost imposable to do when cycling, I have the upper limiter screw as far out as possible and it just about shifts it up there, if I take it to the chain and then one mill away as in the videos it just never shifts up there. When I drop down it drops strain into the smallest one. No matter how lose the cable.
Does anyone recognise any of the issues? Are front derailleurs normally so difficult to move?

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    If you ride in big/big it it very likely you will get chain rub - combination should be avoided as should small/small. On the FD its sounds as if you have too much tension on the cable
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Re. your FD, if you detach the control cable can you move the derailleur easily by hand or is it stiff/part seized? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea03ChN-7Vg
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Did you click the front shifter to the smallest ring position before attaching the cable?
    Careful with the upper limit screw when you do get it working, you'll over shift and drop the chain.
    As previously said, you will get rub using big big, it's inevitable.