RS Monarch Shock Wear

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited June 2015 in MTB general
Hi All.

Just found this patch of wear on my rear shock on my Giant Anthem, it looks like to me like some dust has gotten under the seal and worn the coating off, is this normal, the shock is around 9 months old, I always clean the shock and forks after every ride to try and keep them as clean as possible and hadn't noticed the ride before.

Would RS class this as wear and tare and if they would sort it under warranty how long does it usually take them to sort a problem out don't want the bike sitting in the shed for ages.

P080615_18.49_zps05p9pjis.jpg

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you don't clean around the seals often and treat the shock with a bit of tlc from time to time that could happen. There are also listed service intervals for the seals and so on which if you haven't adhered to them will probably put you at a disadvantage with any RS warranty claim.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It should have had at least one air can service by now which would have included new seals, lube and a good clean. It's a really simple DIY job as well.
    It doesn't look like it's gone too far though. Give it a service and stick to the recommended services schedule and it should still have years of life in it.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I have a Monarch on my Transition Scout, had it a few months and it hasnt had that much use, few hundred miles at most.
    Is there a link to the servicing procedures and intervals anywhere?

Many thanks, Dan
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is there a link to the servicing procedures and intervals anywhere?
    http://www.rockshox.com funnily enough!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    When i googled it i couldnt find much after reading the OPs post.
    and when i opened your link its blocked through my works servers..

but many thanks anyway, i shall look when i get home
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I ride a lot so I do an air can service about every three months and give my forks a lower lube at the same time. I would send them both to TF Tuned or Bad Ass Bikes once a year for a full service.